Reinstall not working for Vista Home Prem.

Howdy,

I have windows vista home premium 32 bit. Its on a dell inspiron (a
laptop which is a little over a year old). Recently I had to reformat it
due to clutter and possible Trojans on my hard drive. However I cant
seem to get the thing to boot.

-I put in widows vista cd and boot from that
-then hit "install now"
-and choose the "custom" option (not upgrade)
-then I formated all drives (recovery and main c drive)
-and then chose my main drive to install it on
-it does fine copying, expanding, installing features and updates and
then reboots and goes back to that page (of the copying, expanding,
etc... page) and says "completing installation..." with the pulseing
"..." (meaning its still thinking I suppose) and then after 45 minutes
or so it goes to a black screen with a cursor and does nothing else.
-if i try to reboot: it will give me the message for the safe mode
etc...on it and if i choose normal mode it goes to the windows booting
page with the loading bar below it and just sits like that (note: the
over something and never starts).

I have done several reinstallations (with xp and vista) but have never
had this problem before. Any thoughts?

Thanks

--
tikiman

  • Re: Booting Vista from external drive violate MS EULA?
    ... of OS install to diff drives. ... Meaning this boots off usb vista, if there is another hard drive ...
  • Re: Transfer 32 bit to 64 bit - new drive
    ... Set your BIOS to boot from DVD; insert the Vista x64 DVD and reboot from it to run Setup. ... Let it create and format a new partition on the new HDD and install Vista x64 there. ... When you are sure that you have transferred or preserved everything you need from them, you can use Drive Management to delete and/or reformat the former Drives C: and G: on Disk 1 and create new drives there for other uses. ...
  • Re: Multiple Vista boot options
    ... There would be a boot sector on both the XP and Vista drives. ... My goal was to install XP Pro on Drive 1 rather than Drive 0. ...
  • Re: Cant install Vista (Resolved)
    ... "If all is right you could also in the BIOS disable the option to boot other devices and only the internal would have been available to boot from. ... Some Bioses even have the option to set the USB drives to be selectable at boot to use if needed to boot from. ... The external drive was attached/installed long after the original install of Vista since January this year. ...
  • Re: Dells Vista Premium ordered!
    ... I much rather install Vista ontop of Vista then over XP, ... As for a clean install, the work around, from what I have read, is to ... media, it's not a retail full product media, and it's probably not a ... install XP on the new drive, and then (now having two drives with XP ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)