Re: HP Recovery discs

Unless you back up the files you need using safe mode your personnel files will most likely be lost since the recovery disks just reinstall the initial OS that came with your computer.
Do I understand correctly that you have installed the latest ATI drivers from the ATI Website for your graphics card using safe mode and not any drivers from the MS website?

"Jim537" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:f5abd93ec16f8aa82fa70c59087e5443@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks, Ralfg...

The Samsung monitor had been running prior to the the hardware failures
on the laptop. When I origianally installed it many months ago, it was
simply plug and play.
The problem arose when I tried to re-install the monitor after I got
the PC back from HP. I tried all the VISTA setup for external monitor
and the ATI setup process to no avail. The screen appeared "elongated"
and the task bar was below the screen frame where you could not see it.
I then started a email string with HP Support and they recommended and
sent directions to do 3 things:
Set bios to default - did not resolve
Update the bios - did not resolve
Update video driver - did not resolve
Of course, updating the bios wiped out some other drivers and my
wireless keyboard and mouse no longer worked anymore so we were just
getting deeper into more issues as well as not resolving the monitor
problem.
They then decided they would send me a disc set to re-install the OS/HP
apps.
At that point I suggested using my HP Recovery discs, which they did
not recommend. My hope was that I might salvage my contacts as they did
not get re-installed when I ran my backup/restore.
But, as you so aptly noted, no data gets put back when the recovery
discs are used, so I guess I'll wait for the HP disc set to arrive in a
few days and start all over again!
Fortunately I have a back up with a HP mini netbook so I can still do
email and browsing while this device gets recreated.

--
Jim537

  • Re: HP Recovery discs
    ... The Samsung monitor had been running prior to the the hardware failures ... Set bios to default - did not resolve ... They then decided they would send me a disc set to re-install the OS/HP ...
  • Re: HP Recovery discs
    ... Press the auto tune button on your monitor and watch everything snap into place. ... Set bios to default - did not resolve ... They then decided they would send me a disc set to re-install the OS/HP ...
  • USS Monitor Center opens in Newport News
    ... Large exhibit of the recovered turret and other artifacts from the USS ... Monitor opened Friday at the Mariners' Museum in Newport News, ... Recovery & ribbon-cutting ...
    (sci.military.naval)
  • Re: HP Recovery discs
    ... ATI, the monitor still does not work properly, so they suggested sending ... My Question is - I have the HP Recovery disc set I created about 3 ... Provided you aren't trying to use settings that are out of range for either the monitor or the graphics adapter that should be the end of it unless there is a problem with the graphics adapter drivers or the graphics hardware. ... Make sure that the graphics adapter driver you install is the correct version-- graphics chipsets integrated on motherboards often require different drivers than a regular video card with the same graphics chip would use. ...
  • Re: HP Recovery Disc Set creation
    ... The funny thing is that this was the first time I tried to create the recovery set. ... I then promptly mailed a complaint to HP's tech support which to my surprise replied within only a couple hours, suggesting to update the Restore Manager from their web site and then I should try to create the disc set again. ... The solution was to borrow an XP install disk (pro or home ...
    (comp.sys.laptops)