Re: move installation?

Paul--

You can do some quick simple things to diagnose a probable overheat problem. As the link below says, pcs that are hot will often power off or restart to protect themselves.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/290870/how_to_tell_if_your_computer_is_overheating.html?cat=6

http://www.helium.com/items/434674-overheating-as-a-cause-of-computer-crashes

If after investigating, it appears your box isn't overheating and you've done some routine checks to R/o other hdw or cable connection problems, try these:

If you need to repair major components of the Vista OS or can't boot, and
don't have a Vista DVD, you can download the .iso from this link and burn
it:

Download Vista Repair Disk
http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/

1) First try 3 options from Startup Repair. If you have a Vista DVD then
restart with it in the drive>press any key to boot from it and run Startup
Repair. From Startup Repair you have 3 good tools with an excellent chance
of fixing your system. If you don't have a Vista DVD from which to boot to
Startup Repair, no problem, Download the .iso from the link below and
burn it, and you'll have the Microsoft Vista Repair Disk with Startup
Repair.

Download Vista Repair Disk
http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/

How to Use Startup Repair from the Vista DVD or the Repair Disk you make:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial142.html

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/5c59f8c1-b0d1-4f1a-af55-74f3922f3f351033.mspx

2) If Startup Repair does not get your Vista back, then use the 3 bootrec
commands from the command prompt available on the Statup Repair Menu:

The menu I refer to is in this set of directions with a grey background.

http://vistahomepremium.windowsreinstall.com/repairstartup/repairstartup.htm

Those are:

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuildbcd

3) If my second option doesn't work, then try System restore from the
Startup Repair list.

4) If by rare chance you have an actual Vista DVD, you can put it in, boot
from it>choose the Upgrade Option>choose your current broken Vista Drive and
try to do a repair install with the Vista DVD.

How To Perform a Repair Installation For Vista
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html

5) If the above 3 tools don't work, then use the 4 tools available by
restarting your pc and tapping F8 once per second to get to the Windows
Advanced Options Menu.

From this menu click on 3 Safe Mode links to use System Restore. Make sure
you try all 3 if one doesn't work, because just one of them may work.
Tap F8 to Reach Windows Advanced Options Menu Pictured Below:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/vista%20windows%20advanced%20options%20menu/indyank/techbliss/Vista-Advanced-Boot-Options.jpg

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command: At the prompt you would type the command to use
for system restore at the safe mode cmd prompt is:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

If these 3 tools don't work, you have one more you can try which is Last
Known Good Configuration.

Good luck,

CH

"Paul Riemerman" <priemer55not@xxxxxxx> wrote in message news:epbyBqz2JHA.3812@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Drive is readable. Might be an overheating problem, system shuts itself down without fully booting. My 0 drive (not the one with Vista on it - Vista's on the 1 drive) after the system shut down problem once gave me a message that the 0 drive's smart circuitry indicates trouble.

Paul

"Chad Harris" <Win7@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:u3Gatkz2JHA.1416@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Paul--

Forgive my being slow. Do you mean the HD has failed, or that you cannot boot?

CH

"Paul Riemerman" <priemer55not@xxxxxxx> wrote in message news:OxMSQTy2JHA.4416@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
My computer just died, with a complex Vista installation on a 250 GB drive. I have a replacement unit on its way, but is there any way to transfer the drive with the Vista install to the new computer and get a working system? My Vista is a full retail copy. I'm now working on XP from my backup machine, an old Dell Optiplex GX200, with a 733 MHZ P3 that's not capable of running Vista. I could reinstall Vista, but would lose an awful lot of data and installed programs.

Paul Riemerman

  • Re: Vista BSOD
    ... Dell promised to ship a Vista DVD with Startup Repair Options in the months before Vista RTM'd and Lionel Manchaka, their VP for media, reneged on his promise. ...
  • Re: vista shuts down
    ... Essentially although it has been refined from XP to Vista to Win 7 it scans thousands of files on your system and if there is a corrupted file it replaces it with an intact one. ... If SFC doesn't fix this use directions are below--and I'm giving them to you because the Startup Repair tools aren't just for situations when Vista No Boots despite Microsoft's party line>they are often successful in repairing significant systemic problems and you lose nothing. ... If you don't have a Vista DVD from which to boot to ...
  • Re: windows vista not booting up
    ... Now that my Vista PC is functioning routinely again - I will have to stop suspecting Vista for those booting issues - but my Vista doubts still remain - caused by random mouse and system freezes, ... Download Vista Repair Disk ... First try 3 options from Startup Repair. ...
  • Re: Repair Query
    ... If you don't have a Vista DVD use the first link to make a Startup Repair DVD with the bits from MSFT: ...
  • Re: Vista blue screens/restart
    ... If you don't have a Vista DVD from MSFT: ... First try 3 options from Startup Repair. ...