*Spent Entire Sunday* on this, (User Account Control)-please help :(

Hi everyone, I will try to be as brief as possible with this but I want
to make sure I explain all the details as I am stuck and not knowing
what to do at about 8 PM when tomorrow is a workday :(. Anyways...

Windows Platform: 32xVista, Comp: HP 6700 ; To start off, I was an
idiot and was installing some program a friend had given to me and it
required "New SID" from Microsoft and I did brief (obviously too brief)
research on Microsoft's site and I went to install it. It sat there for
literally an hour and I thought the process had froze but did not know
what to do so I ended up ending the task from the task manager... and
when I restarted....boom! Everything changed and disappeared...

So on my desktop everything with the appearance changed and I am
shocked to discover that I no longer have Administrator access, my
useraccount *User* has only guest privileges (and I went online and
spent hours today doing a search with people with similar problems) and
went through Safemode....went through other procedures to try to access
my account but I'm unable to! The weirdest thing is that I am able to
log on to the "Administrator" account when I am in safe mode but, and a
big but.....my Admin account in safe mode is also under Guest status and
I can't do anything to stop it!

Under "Users" folder I can view all the user accounts I see the
following: ADMINI~1, Administrator (recently created & showing),
Default, Public, Roaming, *User Account*, *UserAccount.UserAccount-PC* &
NTUser.dat; now...I had a fingerprint reader (the Microsoft one)
installed from before and the weird thing is whenever it asks me for
administrator permission access, it asks me to input my fingerprint but
when I do, now it doesn't work! In Administrator mode that I was
in....it wouldn't even have that and it would be blank and wouldn't let
me click on "ok" to give me admin. access.

I also don't have access to the *UserAccount* folder that used to be
the one I always used and had access to and while I am logging on that
same name....it appears that I am using *UserAccount.UserAccount-PC* .

Other than that, I have my current SID# but am I somehow able to change
my SID# to the previous one and is there a way I can find out what that
# was???

I have VERY Super Important files so I can't just reformat it without
losing my important data files....I don't mind losing the program files
and to reinstall each and every program (as long as I am able to get a
list of the names of the programs) if possible.....but save my data and
then reformat....but someone please help me as I don't know what else to
do. I am pretty computer savvy but I am just stuck out of options....any
help? Thanks again in advance for anyone willing to try to help me, I
want to pull my hair out! Again thanks so much, and I appreciate the
help..

--
xxsassxx31

  • Re: Loss of Administrator User
    ... Enable/Disable Administrator on Welcome Screen ... When I try to access the Administrator account while in Safe Mode it is ... Are you logging on with an account that has Administrator permissions?? ... Safe Mode to access the Administrator account in User Accounts. ...
  • Re: Loss of Administrator User
    ... Keep having fun, Peter. ... Enable/Disable Administrator on Welcome Screen ... When I try to access the Administrator account while in Safe Mode it is ... Are you logging on with an account that has Administrator permissions?? ...
  • Re: Log on Windows XP Professional
    ... >Because of the security features built into Windows XP, ... administrator rights, you can ... >use that account to change the password of the account ... >First you need to boot the system into Safe Mode: ...
  • Re: xp control panel does not display in safe mode
    ... access the control panel in safe mode. ... Administrator account while in Normal Mode. ... Once you have the command prompt window open you can use the net user ...
  • Re: EFS on crashed OS
    ... when the client logs on (user account was ... Under the new instance of Windows, import the EFS certificate that should've ... They got a new SID in the new instance ... use the Administrator account to take ownership and then give ownership ...
    (microsoft.public.security)