Re: Reformatting w/o a disk custom built pc

"karaliecaitsith" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:893acd17544a3f1512dd0b164410a667@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello,

Im new to all of this so please bear with me. I'm currently running
windows vista 32bit and am having problems with my pc. I noticed my pc
was running slow the other day and when I looked at the updates tab it
states the last time it updated was in March. I tried to update it, it
gives me an error that when I look it up states its firewall related.
(error 80072EFD) I uninstalled all of my anti virus programs and
disabled firewalls... nada. I've tried to have the pcsafety people do a
remote assist 3 times and they cant find the problem. We've scanned the
pc for spyware and malware 3 different times (Norman antivirus (the tech
did this) spy sweeper and also the tool built into windows. They've
tried resetting the batch etc with no luck. I'm to the point of just
reformatting my pc but that brings me to the current dilemma...

I custom built my pc a year ago, it does -not- have a recovery
partition and I do not have a back up disk for my os. Is there a way to
create a partition of vista's original settings, that I can reboot from?
Or if anyone else has had a problem with this error I would appreciate
any help ..

Thank you!~

Edit: I debated on downloading a version of Vista and burning it as I
have my reg codes etc, but I heard that it can lock up my OS due to a
security feature they installed on vista. Is this true?

--

Hi karaliecaitsith--

am having problems with my pc/was running slow the other day / it does -not- have a recovery
partition and I do not have a back up disk for my os/ Is there a way to
create a partition of vista's original settings, that I can reboot from?

You can boot; so try defragging, turning off services that aren't needed, killing processes you don't need, and going to msconfig's startup tab and making sure only the bare minimum you need starts.

Also try doing a startup repair even though you can boot. If you don't have the Vista DVD, download the .iso and burn to CD or DVD (120mb) from here:

Download Vista Repair Disk
http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/

1) First try 3 options from Startup Repair. If you have a Vista DVD then
restart with it in the drive>press any key to boot from it and run Startup
Repair. From Startup Repair you have 3 good tools with an excellent chance
of fixing your system. If you don't have a Vista DVD from which to boot to
Startup Repair, no problem, Download the .iso from the link below and
burn it, and you'll have the Microsoft Vista Repair Disk with Startup
Repair.

Download Vista Repair Disk
http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/

How to Use Startup Repair from the Vista DVD or the Repair Disk you make:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial142.html

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/5c59f8c1-b0d1-4f1a-af55-74f3922f3f351033.mspx

2) If Startup Repair does not get your Vista back, then use the 3 bootrec
commands from the command prompt available on the Statup Repair Menu:

The menu I refer to is in this set of directions with a grey background.

http://vistahomepremium.windowsreinstall.com/repairstartup/repairstartup.htm

Those are:

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuild BCD

3) If my second option doesn't work, then try System restore from the
Startup Repair list.

4) If by rare chance you have an actual Vista DVD, you can put it in, boot
from it>choose the Upgrade Option>choose your current broken Vista Drive and
try to do a repair install with the Vista DVD.

How To Perform a Repair Installation For Vista
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html

5) If the above 3 tools don't work, then use the 4 tools available by
restarting your pc and tapping F8 once per second to get to the Windows
Advanced Options Menu.

From this menu click on 3 Safe Mode links to use System Restore. Make sure
you try all 3 if one doesn't work, because just one of them may work.
Tap F8 to Reach Windows Advanced Options Menu Pictured Below:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/vista%20windows%20advanced%20options%20menu/indyank/techbliss/Vista-Advanced-Boot-Options.jpg

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command: At the prompt you would type the command to use
forsystem restore at the safe mode cmd prompt is:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

If these 3 tools don't work, you have one more you can try which is Last
Known Good Configuration.

Good luck,

CH

.