Re: Cant start Vista after changing partions

"simcityfreak4" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:eab3f4ecd9aba924db2f60697993ed5c@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I could really use some help with this error, its got me stumped. I have
Vista Home Premium SP1 32 bit. Here is the story.

I wanted to try out Windows 7, but I didn't want to upgrade Vista yet
because it was still in beta. So I was going to dual-boot Windows 7 and
Vista. I downloaded a copy of linux that was designed for partitioning
so that I could partition my hard drive. Before I partitioned it with
linux, I had just one partition for Vista and that was it. I had linux
trim it down about 30 gigs and then make a new partition with that free
space. It did all that and didnt report any errors. So I restarted my
computer and the windows loading screen came up for about a second
untill it said "Windows failed to start and a recent hardware or
software change might be the cause". And it gave the the option of
starting windows normally or to launch startup repair. I picked start
windows normally and it went back to the loading screen. After a few
seconds at that it gave me a BSOD for about a second before it
restarted. I was able to see the error number before it restarted. It
was 0x000000ED. So after it restarted it went back to the same message
again. I picked launch startup repair that time. It then told me that
I should get my Vista install disk that run the repair tools. It also
said at the bottom "Status: 0xc000000f" and "Info: The boot selection
failed because a required device is inaccessible". After that I went
and downloaded a Vista repair disk because my HP laptop restore disk
doesnt have any repair options. So I burned that to a disk and went to
the repair tools and it asked me to pick an OS to repair, but there was
no OS in the list. This confused me since it could get the loading
screen up but no OS avaliable on the repair disk. I then got my linux
livecd to see if linux could access it, but it gave me an error as well.
(A picture of it is attached)

Does anyone have any idea what I can try next? I can live without the
files on the hard drive, but at the very least I would like to save some
of the files on it. My main thing is to get access to the files just so
I can save them, I can reinstall Vista.

Thanks for any help!

|Filename: snapshot1.jpg |
|Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12594|

simcityfreak4

Hi simcity--

I'm guessing that you used one of my faves to do your partition resizing G-Parted Live from Gnu/or Gnome but
it might have been some other Linux utility. I've had good experiences with G-Parted, but I know it can hide boots on multiboot systems, but usually it can be repaired promptly and easily using three bootrec switches from the command prompt you can access on the Vista DVD (or if you didn't have a Vista DVD) you can download the .iso to make a Startup Repair DVD. This useful feature is also available from the All Programs Menu in Win 7 under Maintenance, in all builds, and was hidden in the Vista SP1 and SP2 System 32 folders in because someone who had top shot calling power at Redmond with those service packs has a devilish sense of humor and gets intense pleasure in thinking about how many Seattle/Mercer Island Soccer Mom's are perusing system 32 utilities and then want to tweak UAC permissions to make recdisc.exe in the Vista System 32 folder work. Maybe the eleven year old kid in the "I'm a PC" commercials is regularly perusing system 32 for its hidden value, or perhaps Bill Gates or Jim Alchin's kids. I dunno.

That error generated is an interesting error, but it almost seems like an answer on a group or forum. What sometimes happens is that use of G-Parted or another Linux partition manager hides a boot or can damage the BCD but this is rare. The reason that people use G-Parted is that it simply can do more things with more versatility than Disk Management in Vista or Win 7 can, although to their credit, MSFT did make it fault tolerant as of Vista, which means when it does what it does, if the partitions are in the right place or adjacent to the right partitions with enough space to work with, you will not lose anything when it resizes or formats a particular partition that you're not in. In Windows XP, Disk Management wasn't "fault tolerant", and when you used it, you had to be backed up and prepared to lose everything. G-Parted will add space to a given partition if it's available, and it formats with warp speed, faster than Disk Management. Sometimes, for unexplained reasons, Disk Management ghosts partitions you want to resize or format, and that's one compelling reason people turn to Linux apps or utilities (whichever you want to call them) to do what it DM won't do.

Using G-Parted to Resize Win Vista Partitions

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-gparted-to-resize-your-windows-vista-partition/

The link above has nice screenshots, but it doesn't tell you two crucial things that I will.

1) To make G-Parted actually apply changes, you have to put your mouse on the lower rt. corner of its interface and drag that sucker to the right (make it the width of your desktop).

2) The link indicates Startup Repair will fix things in the rare event you can't boot. Frequently as you're finding out, it doesn't but almost always, doing the bootrec commands will and what it's probably doing is rebuilding the BCD when it gets you back. The fixboot command is also important in some situations or in conjunction with the rebuild BCD command. Some of the guys who work on Windows Setup teams at Redmond and Startup would definitely be good sources to discuss this, like Darrell Gorter [MSFT] who has been generous helping here, but that's my take as far as I can analyze it.

Here's what I've seen fix this:

I don't think you need this link because you've alrerady been booting to the Startup Repair menu, but your friends without Vista DVDs might:

Download Vista Repair Disk
http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/

Try this:

If Startup Repair does not get your Vista back, then use the 3 bootrec
commands from the command prompt available on the Statup Repair Menu:

The menu I refer to is in this set of directions with a grey background.

http://vistahomepremium.windowsreinstall.com/repairstartup/repairstartup.htm

Those are:

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuild BCD

After typing each command switch at the command prompt, you'll get a quick "Successful" for the first two switches, and it will take about 30 seconds or less to get that response from the 3rd one. Use all of them, and it takes just a few seconds anyway.

Good luck,

CH

  • Re: Cant start Vista after changing partions
    ... I wanted to try out Windows 7, but I didn't want to upgrade Vista yet ... starting windows normally or to launch startup repair. ... and downloaded a Vista repair disk because my HP laptop restore disk ...
  • Re: Cant open control panel
    ... Why not try to fix Vista? ... twice a year and now it's part of WRP or Windows Resource Protection. ... How to Use The Vista DVD to Repair Vista (Startup Repair is misnamed by the ... by accessing the command prompt from the DVD or from F8 and typing at the ...
  • Re: Dual-Boot Vista64 XP Pro 32 XP wont load
    ... C: has Vista 64 installed ... Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems. ... I tried changing the partition value to but then XP starts (shows ... There are a total of 2 entries listed in the Vista Bootloader. ...
  • Re: memtest.exe
    ... Chatting with Microsoft offered me a Boot the Windows CD and select Repair System, but the CD that came with the Gateway appears to be a rebuild only as it gives me no options and goes straight to installing Vista. ... Run sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt to detect and repair corrupt system files. ...
  • Re: Cant start Vista after changing partions
    ... I wanted to try out Windows 7, but I didn't want to upgrade Vista yet ... starting windows normally or to launch startup repair. ... some situations or in conjunction with the rebuild BCD command. ...