Re: Vista Repair Install

"revoddball" <revoddball.3qq2nd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:revoddball.3qq2nd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

revoddball's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/90407.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-setup-install/705151.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

I am stuck in a similar situation, however i cannot boot the machine
from safe mode, and the automatic repair does not recover things. and i
cannot perform the upgrade when booting from the install media.

the only reason this is an issue is because i am trying to move form an
old mainboard to a new mainboard with a different chipset.

I have done allot to vista but not this one.

Hi revoddball--

This thread is confusing because the only message I see here is yours though I've tried to download all messages, and I see a reply to Malke from John Barnett, but I don't see the message from Malke he's replying to nor do I find it by searching Win Live Mail.

However, I see what you wrote and I'll try to give you every possible way you can repair your Vista. Let me know if you have any questions.

Summarizing your problem with the only message I see you say you can't boot the box. You talk about Safe Mode, but I can't tell what you did at the F8 Windows Advanced Options Menu where you can and should try at least 3 Safe Mode Options listed below as well as Last Known Good Configuration. You throw in the information about your Mobo and moving from one Mobo (or Mainboard as you call it) to another, and that raises a worry for me that your problem could be with chipsets, etc. and hardware. I still want to give you an organized description of the full panoply of software fixes for Vista in case it will help.

In other words, I can't be sure if your problem is hardware because you've mentioned switching from one Mobo to the next or software. If it's software, my 5 approaches to the tools to fix have a high likelihood to get it done. I'm familiar with John Barnett's helpful site that's graphically user friendly for fixing a number of Windows Vista and related problems as well.

) First try 3 options from Startup Repair. If you have a Vista DVD then
restart with it in the drive>press any key to boot from it and run Startup
Repair. From Startup Repair you have 3 good tools with an excellent chance
of fixing your system. If you don't have a Vista DVD from which to boot to
Startup Repair, no problem, Download the .iso from the link below and
burn it, and you'll have the Microsoft Vista Repair Disk with Startup
Repair.

Download Vista Repair Disk
http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/

How to Use Startup Repair from the Vista DVD or the Repair Disk you make:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial142.html

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/5c59f8c1-b0d1-4f1a-af55-74f3922f3f351033.mspx

2) If Startup Repair does not get your Vista back, then use the 3 bootrec
commands from the command prompt available on the Statup Repair Menu:

The menu I refer to is in this set of directions with a grey background.

http://vistahomepremium.windowsreinstall.com/repairstartup/repairstartup.htm

Those are:

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuild BCD

3) If my second option doesn't work, then try System restore from the
Startup Repair list.

4) If by rare chance you have an actual Vista DVD, you can put it in, boot
from it>choose the Upgrade Option>choose your current broken Vista Drive and
try to do a repair install with the Vista DVD.

5) If the above 3 tools don't work, then use the 4 tools available by
restarting your pc and tapping F8 once per second to get to the Windows
Advanced Options Menu.

From this menu click on 3 Safe Mode links to use System Restore. Make sure
you try all 3 if one doesn't work, because just one of them may work.
Tap F8 to Reach Windows Advanced Options Menu Pictured Below:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/vista%20windows%20advanced%20options%20menu/indyank/techbliss/Vista-Advanced-Boot-Options.jpg

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command: At the prompt you would type the command to use for
system restore at the safe mode cmd prompt is:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

If these 3 tools don't work, you have one more you can try which is Last
Known Good Configuration.

John Barnett references an upgrade repair or inplace Install of Vista in a message to Malke. I can't see the message John is replying to. John says it took 4 hours but worked. I've done several upgrade installs using Vista SP1, Vista SP2, and very late builds of Windows 7 and they all work. Mine took about an hour and a half and I have a lot of files and folders accumulated from several years, but the variables there are your CPU speed, your RAM, and the granular nature of the files and settings and folder numbers and size on the particular box you're upgrading so your milage is going to vary there.

All I can say is that if you have the Vista DVD, or in Win 7 the Win 7 DVD, it remains a viable option. Most people don't have the DVD, (you say you do) but we can give theman option to burn a startup repair disc. A utility for doing just that was buried in System 32 in Vista in SP1 and I believe Vista SP2, although I formatted those two guys from my boxes long ago. However in Windows 7 it is where it should be on the All Programs Menu as I've shown by the screenshot at the link below.

Good luck and let us know if you have questions and particularly with the mention of chipsets and mobo moving, is your problem a hdw problem or a software problem?

CH

.