Re: Is there no warm reinstall option for Vista?

Is there any possibility that a system restore to an appropriate point
would reverse the previous attempts to uninstall SP1?

Otherwise, Windows Easy Transfer might simplify putting everything back
if a clean reinstall is necessary.

I haven't done it myself, but it seems you need to tell Easy Transfer
you are on the Old Computer - to transfer files from it to an external
hd. Then when Vista is reinstalled, start Easy transfer from there and
tell it you are on the New Computer - to transfer to it from the
external HD.

'Using Windows Easy Transfer to transfer your data to a new computer'
(http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial138.html)

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Migrating-Vista-using-Windows-Easy-Transfer.html

Hope it helps

SIW2

patchwerk;993301 Wrote:
Thank you, this is what I've been trying to do, and exactly where I
THOUGHT
it would be... here's the catch... this user upgraded to SP1, then had
problem, and pulled a system restore to a point prior to the SP1
install,
and THEN saw that SP1 was still in her Programs & Features listing, and
tried to uninstall it.. now neither my SP1 or vanilla discs will allow
an
upgrade (warm) install.

Appreciate the response though... feel a bit less of a fool.

"SIW2" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:e2e48592e661a7bc16361f7024c34f1b@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> > >

Is this what you had in mind ?

This will allow you to repair your Vista installation and keep all of
your personal user account files, settings, and programs. You will be
performing a *Upgrade Install* from within your currently running
Vista.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html

Hope it helps

SIW2

patchwerk;993175 Wrote:> > > > >
I have a client's machine sitting here, with a copy of Vista Home
Premium. I
was able to clean up the cause of the problem, but there are a few
things
that that need to be replaced, and the best option would be a warm
reinstall. I've done this a MILLION times with Windows XP, but the
only
installation option I have when booting from the Vista disc (created
using
my MSDN account) is to perform a clean install, which will wipe the
existing
user accounts and program entries... how the heck do you perform a
warm
reinstall in Vista? (I can't even get an answer to this on Google!)> > > > >

--
SIW2 > >

--
SIW2

  • Re: Is there no warm reinstall option for Vista?
    ... would reverse the previous attempts to uninstall SP1? ... but it seems you need to tell Easy Transfer ... 'Migrating to Vista using Windows Easy Transfer' ... upgrade install. ...
  • Easy Transfer
    ... It seems that Easy Transfer is not a program, ... Double-clicking the item in the Update History list shows that it's Windows Easy Transfer for Windows 7. ... Installs fine here. ... correct file, that the download is not corrupt, that you have not already ...
  • How Do I Uninstall/Remove/Disable Windows Easy Transfer from my XP
    ... How do I unintall/remove/disable Windows Easy Transfer from my XP Pro System? ... The Windows Easy Transfer Disk is invalid." ...
  • Re: Windows Easy Transfer from XP to Vista Help Please
    ... Instead of running Easy Transfer from the Vista DVD, ... "Windows Easy Transfer" program ceases to respond. ... Have been attempting to transfer the settings from a Dell Machine ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: "Show this folder as as e-mail Address Book" is greyed out
    ... Nice to know that Windows Easy Transfer remains broken even in Windows 7. ... are present but ALL my Contact folders do not display as Address Books. ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook.contacts)