Re: Is there no warm reinstall option for Vista?

Is there any possibility that a system restore to an appropriate point
would reverse the previous attempts to uninstall SP1?

Otherwise, Windows Easy Transfer might simplify putting everything back
if a clean reinstall is necessary.

I haven't done it myself, but it seems you need to tell Easy Transfer
you are on the Old Computer - to transfer files from it to an external
hd. Then when Vista is reinstalled, start Easy transfer from there and
tell it you are on the New Computer - to transfer to it from the
external HD.

'Using Windows Easy Transfer to transfer your data to a new computer'
(http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial138.html)

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Migrating-Vista-using-Windows-Easy-Transfer.html

Hope it helps

SIW2

patchwerk;993301 Wrote:
Thank you, this is what I've been trying to do, and exactly where I
THOUGHT
it would be... here's the catch... this user upgraded to SP1, then had
problem, and pulled a system restore to a point prior to the SP1
install,
and THEN saw that SP1 was still in her Programs & Features listing, and
tried to uninstall it.. now neither my SP1 or vanilla discs will allow
an
upgrade (warm) install.

Appreciate the response though... feel a bit less of a fool.

"SIW2" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:e2e48592e661a7bc16361f7024c34f1b@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> > >

Is this what you had in mind ?

This will allow you to repair your Vista installation and keep all of
your personal user account files, settings, and programs. You will be
performing a *Upgrade Install* from within your currently running
Vista.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html

Hope it helps

SIW2

patchwerk;993175 Wrote:> > > > >
I have a client's machine sitting here, with a copy of Vista Home
Premium. I
was able to clean up the cause of the problem, but there are a few
things
that that need to be replaced, and the best option would be a warm
reinstall. I've done this a MILLION times with Windows XP, but the
only
installation option I have when booting from the Vista disc (created
using
my MSDN account) is to perform a clean install, which will wipe the
existing
user accounts and program entries... how the heck do you perform a
warm
reinstall in Vista? (I can't even get an answer to this on Google!)> > > > >

--
SIW2 > >

--
SIW2