Re: Moving users "Documents" folders to a different drive

Mark H;945063 Wrote:
There is an additional problem in Vista with moving the Documents
folder:

Many applications are still written for XP (and before) using "My
Documents"
as the installation path for certain files. Vista attempts to correct
this
by redirecting to the "Documents" folder. If that folder has been
moved, a
shortcut exists in the folder instead and the installation is unable to
create the subdirectory it wants to create. The installtion then
attempts to
create the folder "Documents", but Vista refuses to allow more than one
"Documents" folder. (It equates the shortcut equal to the folder for
this
function.) This continues until it gives up and produces Error 1720.

While this is technically not a problem with Vista, it may make
installation
of various applications difficult. (Especially when multiple users are
involved and the Documents folder has been moved.)

"JTHM" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:09e3407e9e570dff3047469415492cdd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> > >

Dear All

Under WinXP I was able to relocate, one-at-a-time, all users My
Documents folders to a different drive and rename each My Documents
folder so that I could have all users My Documents folders
co-existing
on a single drive.

I've tried to do the same thing under Vista and, though successful
for
the first user, I have come a bit unstuck with subsequent users
because
though renaming the My Documents folder to "<User's> Documents" Vista
still sees it as "Documents" so gets all confused with seeing two
folders of the same name on the drive and tries to merge the
contents!

Is there a solution?

Thanks!

JT

--
JTHM > >

Assuming that the same applies for My Movies, My Videos, My Pictures,
etc. that means that for me to only have one folder for Documents my C:
partition has to be HUGE, and I can't simply do a FORMAT C: to commence
a clean reinstall.

From my perspective it probably would have been a "feature" best
avoided. :rolleyes:

--
JTHM

  • RE: Outlook 2003 command
    ... Server Management Client Computers and add it back in. ... that is required in a default SBS 2K3 installation. ... 5.Here I would suggest you check if you have assigned applications to the ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: [PHP] "cannot load mysql extension" - PHP Installation on Vista/Apache
    ... Installation on Vista/Apache ... Vista intriguing and a learning experience. ... You right i "miss-worded" that (if you do search further the reason it works ... same permissions as the original folder'. ...
    (php.general)
  • Re: HELP with OE
    ... Do point 3a below and then do a File | Folder | Compact all in OE. ... and then compact manually and frequently using File ... affect the ability of your antivirus software to block infections. ... Most of the problems with a faulty installation are due to other programs ...
  • Re: Compacte Files - Reading them
    ... > file to a backup folder. ... and then compact manually and frequently using File ... affect the ability of your antivirus software to block infections. ... Most of the problems with a faulty installation are due to other programs ...
  • Re: Sent items lost !
    ... I can see this folder contains all of the sent items cause it's ... Cannot Open E-Mail Attachments in Outlook Express After You Install SP1 ... affect the ability of your antivirus software to block infections. ... Most of the problems with a faulty installation are due to other programs ...