Re: About Vista Activation

I use Acronis True Image 2009. Vista Ultimate's Complete PC Backup will do the trick but I found that, after using it for a few months, it started telling me that the removable drive I use for backup did not have enough room. This was strange because I always delete the last backup prior to creating a new full backup, so , to all intent and purpose, the hard drive was actually completely empty. The first time I got this message I just thought it was a glitch, but after almost a dozen attempts it still came up with the same error message so I dumped Complete PC Backup and went back to Acronis True Image.

John Barnett MVP
Windows XP Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://www.winuser.co.uk
Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"nsharazer" <caguthridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:7BE50E45-5DE0-4211-8AFC-AD5D60FBDC5F@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
What do you use to image? Will the full Ultimate Backup work as well?

"John Barnett MVP" <freelance@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:%23MkQXwWeJHA.1532@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mick the 'boxed' version scenario doesn't actually run true in my case. I've reinstalled Vista about 3 times since it was released. The very first time I activated over the internet 'all' subsequent time I was informed that 'my product key was in use' making it impossible to activate over the internet. So while Microsoft advocate that a retail box can be activate 5 times over the internet it isn't doing it for me. Okay I have four product key numbers so it was easy for me to simply 'change' the product key number rather than having to telephone, but it was still rather an inconvenience.

Now, however, I prefer to simply image my hard drive and then re-image back when a problem occurs to save the bother of activation. Fortunately I haven't had to change any hardware, so imaging is the easiest option for me.

Thanks for the link, though, it is a useful piece of information.

John Barnett MVP
Windows XP Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://www.winuser.co.uk
Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Mick Murphy" <MickMurphy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:22962FAF-13F5-473D-B472-DE6B00DBA04F@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
John, it is a little bit about number of times for internet Activation
without Hardware changes.

"Windows can be activated any number of times, but your re-activation
experience will vary based on the way you acquired Windows.

If you acquired Windows Vista via retail purchase (boxed product), you may
activate via the Internet the first five times. Subsequent activations are
allowed but must be completed via telephone.

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/activationfaq.mspx

If you acquire Windows Vista pre-installed on a computer, re-installation
would not require additional activation steps unless significant hardware
changes were made."

A handy link to have.

--
Mad Mike

"John Barnett MVP" wrote:

AFAIK you can activate as many times as you like, there is no restriction.
The only 'proviso' is that the first activate will (or at least should)
occur via the Internet - you simply elect to activate over the internet.
Once that 'first' activation has occurred and subsequent activations will
fail 'over the internet' because your product key is 'already in use.'
Consequently the second and any future activations will require a telephone
call to the Microsoft activation line. This is a free phone number but the
service is automated. If you get a refusal from the automated service then
'don't hang up,' stay on the phone and you will be transferred to a 'real'
person who should be able to guide you through the activation process.

.