Vista Install Won't Recognize Hard Drives

I am having a very hard time installing Vista Home Premium to a new hard drive -- I have tried on three different SATA hard drives. For example, although my BIOS recognizes the drive (a 500 GB Maxtor), Vista's install program says: "Windows is uanble to find a system volume that meets its criteria for installation" and "This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure tht the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu." I had no trouble previously installing Vista on this computer on a different SATA 500 GB drive. In fact the previous installation was a breeze. I formatted each of the new drives in Vista before swapping them in for installtion. Anyone have an idea what is going on?