I messed up Vista. Won't boot. Windows boot manager error.

Hello,
I have an HP Pavilion laptop with Vista 64 and a recovery partition for
the OS and drivers. I set out to dual boot Linux and Vista on this
laptop and everything went badly. I used a Linux LiveCD to:
1. resize Vista - did not know that this was a problem. Did it many
times to XP.
2. I deleted the recovery partion after I burned the recovery Disks.
3. I made a small 750MB partition before Vista where I want to place
GRUB for the dual-boot. Maybe this step messed up the Vista bootloader ?
4. So, now I have a small ext2 Linux partition of 750 MB, followed by a
large NTFS partition where the dead but supposedly intact Vista lies
sick, followed by a 35 GB Linux partition where I want to put Ubuntu.

I am not sure which step first made Vista unbootable - the resize or
the placement of a partition in front of it. After resizing Vista and
partitioning, I did use a Linux LiveCD to check the Vista partition and
I found it to be fine as far as data integrity is concerned. I could
explore all of my files and folders. *** So, up until now, the data was
safe, I had not tried to boot Vista, but I suppose that it was already
unbootable due to one or all of the steps taken *** It gets worse.... I
then began the recovery process by using the recovery DVDs that I
burned. After booting the recovery Disk 1, the display said "loading
files". This went on for long enough that I became concerned and
shutdown the laptop for fear that it was Installing the recovery OS and
drivers without asking me whether I had data that I wanted to retrieve.
This is important: I never got to the selection screen of the Vista
recovery disk, the process was halted at loading files. HP tech support
assures me that the data has not been erased. But...

The problems now are:
1. Vista won't boot. I get a Windows Boot Manager error screen that
implies that \windows\system32\winload.exe can't be found. * I imagine
that either the resizing or shutting down of the recovery disk caused
this.
2. I have tried every Linux LiveCD that I have and I can't mount that
partition to check the data now. I WAS able to do so before the recovery
sequence began. The error message tells me that the partition was
shutdown improperly and seems to imply that it is scheduled to do
something and therefore can't be mounted. I am given the option to force
mount but that sounds hazardous to me. I want to repeat that HP tech
support said the data is still there because I did not get past "loading
files". - I just have not found a way to get to it.

3. HP tech support thought that they could help me entirely if I could
get a DOS prompt. He kept having me try tapping f8 during bootup to get
a command prompt. We could not get that. We just had the same Windows
Boot Manager error come up over and over again. I don't know what he was
going to do but he thought that it would be game over and victory if we
could get the prompt.
*** I am just looking for a fix. Ideally, I would like to get this
installation bootable again. If not possible, I would like to at least
rescue the data. HP is sending me a special recovery disk in the mail.
It should be able to help recover data - should - but I don't trust it.
The tech on the phone sounded dicey about it. I think that it only
recovers sytem files and folders not my files and folders - the ones I
care about.

Thanks,

brjoon1021

  • Re: I messed up Vista. Wont boot. Windows boot manager error.
    ... I set out to dual boot Linux and Vista on this ... I used a Linux LiveCD to: ... I deleted the recovery partion after I burned the recovery Disks. ... I made a small 750MB partition before Vista where I want to place ...
  • Re: recovery cds not functioning
    ... The recovery CD is expecting access to the whole HD. ... Loose the Linux partition and it should recover. ... These system recovery cds do NOT support this hp pc model" ... I did partition the hard drive and have linux on half of it. ...
    (comp.sys.hp.misc)
  • Re: Installing 10.3 with Vista
    ... drives, the OS on C:, Data D:, and HP RECOVERY E:. ... The "recovery" partition might well be the only Vista backup Thompson ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: HD Upgrade with Acronis 10
    ... made the compaq recovery DVD's necessary for the recovery of Vista. ... I can try the primary partition, ... I set the clone to do ...
  • Re: How to fix MBR for Vista
    ... I always partition unused space and install Linux, then verify that everything is working and as a last step update boot sector on the partition for Linux. ... Then I add bcd record so that I could use original Vista boot loader and it's menu to start by default Vista or select Linux. ...