Re: 32 bit installs but not 64 bit

To whom is the Action Pack installation media available? I did not think that there was room on a single DVD to hold both the 32 bit and the 64 bit version of Vista or MS would have put them on one DVD from the beginning.
What is an example of a "There are deployment scenarios where this is required" that requires running 32 bit.exe to install 64 bit Vista?
Are you saying that you can start an installation from a 32 bit Vista installation DVD and switch DVDs to a 64 bit version at one of the installation steps in the installation?
In any case the question of interest to normal consumers is "Must I boot from a consumer available 64 bit inhalation DVD in order to install 64 bit Vista on a 32 bit system?
""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" <Darrellg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:FjBExdSGJHA.3408@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,
No I am not saying that, I am stating that 32-bit setup.exe can be used to
install a 64-bit OS. By default it's not included on most of the Windows
Vista DVD's.
You would have to get setup from a 32-bit DVD to do this.
I think the Action Pack media which has both 32-bit and 64-bit images on
the media, only supplies a 32-bit version of setup however. It doesn't
supply a 64-bit version of setup.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
| >From: "Curious" <<spammenot@xxxxxxxxxx>>
| >Subject: Re: 32 bit installs but not 64 bit
| >Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 06:39:32 -0700
| >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
| >
| >So are you saying that the 64bit installation DVD contains both the 32
bit
| >and the 64 bit versions of setup.exe? If not then where is the version
of
| >32.bit setup.exe you run and how does it know to use the files on the 64
bit
| >installation DVD?
| >"Darrell Gorter" <Darrellg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
| >> Hello Ian,
| >> Sure it works, but you have to use 32-bit setup.exe instead of the
64-bit
| >> setup.exe.
| >> this was changed for the x64 edition of Windows XP. This has to work
for
| >> some deployment scenarios.
| >> You cannot run the 64-bit Setup.exe from inside 32-bit Windows, so yes
you
| >> will get an error if you try that.
| >> thanks
| >> Darrell
| >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
| >> "Ian D" <taurus@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

Windows

.