Re: 32 bit installs but not 64 bit

So are you saying that the 64bit installation DVD contains both the 32 bit and the 64 bit versions of setup.exe? If not then where is the version of 32.bit setup.exe you run and how does it know to use the files on the 64 bit installation DVD?
"Darrell Gorter" <Darrellg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:uswzcmJGJHA.4460@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello Ian,
Sure it works, but you have to use 32-bit setup.exe instead of the 64-bit setup.exe.
this was changed for the x64 edition of Windows XP. This has to work for some deployment scenarios.
You cannot run the 64-bit Setup.exe from inside 32-bit Windows, so yes you will get an error if you try that.
thanks
Darrell
"Ian D" <taurus@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:u5CrGUEGJHA.3576@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" <Darrellg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:S9Rbjv5FJHA.1640@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello Curious,
You actually can install 64-bit from with-in a 32-bit version of Windows.
The 32-bit setup.exe as well as the 32-bit Boot.wim(WinPE) can be used to
setup 64-bit Windows.
There are deployment scenarios where this is required, so if you replace
those you could do it.
32-bit setup.exe supports installing 64-bit Windows ( x64 bit Windows not
Itanium of course)

Clean install only of course.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

You cannot install 64 bit Vista from 32 bit Vista or XP. It will give an
error message to that effect, and the installation will terminate.

  • Re: Vista Corrupted To Near Unusability -- No Recovery Disks
    ... I like Ubuntu and in fact use it on this machine at work because to use my MVP award of Windows at work would IMHO be illegal. ... However I have tried W 7 and it is much leaner and cleaner than Vista so I can't quite agree that is is simply a trimmed down Vista, I believe there have been significant coding changes. ... I have been pleased with Vista HomePrem: unlike any previous Win installation I used, it ran for more than 2 years without any need for a clean install. ... No solution found at this time, but I may likely post what I eventually do, and that may not involve HP sending me the recovery CDs which I want because of what appears to be a flawed business model. ...
  • Re: Vista: Cannot install critical KB952709
    ... so I tried to open a windows vista sp1 incident. ... I will open a support incident. ... Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Application Non Responding (Vista)
    ... Would it not make sense to post a Vista question to a Vista newsgroup ... instead of Windows XP newsgroup? ... On the system I have installed the drivers of the new graphic board. ... installation of the new graphic board, and at that time it was really ...
  • First day thoughts on Windows Vista
    ... I just thought I'd share some intial observations in regards to Windows ... I received the Vista Beta through my TechNet subscription and quickly loaded ... Unfortunately the installation kept hanging on the Confguring page. ... The went on to the drivers that were not found. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Can someone please help me with this problem
    ... Vista home basic ... Now the problem I have is that I recently got sent a installation CD ... Ubuntu anymore and wanting to revert back to Vista but I dont have ... And what would I need to do to get Windows Vista back onto my laptop. ...