Re: Dual Booting

"Ian D" wrote:
"Bruce Chambers" wrote:
WinXP cannot be installed on an external hard drive, by design.

It can be installed on an external eSATA drive, but that's because
an eSATA drive is, functionally, an internal drive. Any laptop
that has a PC card slot that supports a Type II Cardbus can support
a Cardbus eSATA controller card.

I had hoped that I'd be able to boot from an external eSATA
drive that was connected to my Dell laptop via a PCIe eSATA
controller card. But... it turns out that the system can see the
eSATA HD only after the OS is loaded. It seems that the only
way to boot from an eSATA HD (or to load the OS from an
eSATA HD) is to have the eSATA controller part of the mother-
board ROM.

*TimDaniels*

  • Re: in lieu of swapping out hard drives
    ... I have a Windows XP 2 laptop. ... use Windows Server 2003 for testing purposes. ... There are ExpressCards that provide one or two eSATA ports and this ... onto a external HDD that would be bootable - similar to a desktop PC system ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Implementing a "sometimes" RAID on a laptop. (eSATA, SSD, RAID 1)
    ... I experienced a complete SSD failure this week on my laptop. ... I've ordered a new Dell XPS 17 laptop which has an eSATA port. ... my XPS17 has 2 hard drives. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: recommendation for an external hard drive enclosure
    ... external enclosure that can do "both" pc and laptop SATAhard ... Are you willing to use a PCIe eSATA card on the desktop? ... Are you willing to use an ExpressCard for eSATA on the laptop? ... PCs will not boot from a USB HD. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: We have used both
    ... I've not been following the 15" Laptop arguement; ... eSATA is faster than FW800 today: ... cables for power and a printer, ... Tower people probably stuff the tower under the desk ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)