Re: Dual Booting

Hi,

Real fast is what you won't get. Installing either XP or Vista to an external drive is not supported. There are workarounds for XP easily found on the web, but the throughput is so slow that the installation will be unusable in a practical sense. Plus, you really should have a Vista disk so that you can affect repairs as needed before doing things of this nature.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"salomon25" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:09c2d9adbbd58b7dec69b1bedd7eb24d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi I just bought and external hardrive for my Toshiba Satellite A-200
laptop and I was wondering if there was any way that I could dual boot
xp and vista with vista preinstalled. Because it is preinstalled I do
not have the boot disc. BUT. I do have the xp disc that I own. I was
wondering if anybody knew about a tutorial or any step by step guides on
how to install the xp os to the external hard drive and then dual boot
with vista. Thanks in advance to any help. I NEED HELP REAL FAST
PLEASEEEEE.:mad:

--
salomon25

  • Re: corrupted profiles and much more
    ... I upgraded to Norton360 on VISTA in January 2008 ... related to installing VISTA sp1 prerelease on my PC (at least that is the ... However all was not related to SP1rc and Norton. ... in Windows Local Security Policies and HP PRotectTools. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: boot manager: what do do when reinstall 1 OS required
    ... image for XP but want to pick-up Vista for dual boot later!!! ... This KB Article explains how to repair the Vista boot process after installing WinXP: ... The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has killed a great many philosophers. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • New Computer - BSOD - How do i find the problem?
    ... i have just put together a new computer, and installed Windows Vista Ultimate X64. ... The Raid array was broken and it wouldnt start Vista. ... I tried installing the newest chipset drivers and intel matrix storage manager, and i have also uninstalled some energy saving program from Asus called Six Engine. ... I was able to move the mouse around and type something into an open messenger window (dont know if the message was delivered). ...
  • Re: New Computer - BSOD - How do i find the problem?
    ... But of some reason I keep getting the BSOD, and i dont know how to find ... The Raid array was broken and it wouldnt start Vista (kept freezing at ... I tried installing the newest chipset drivers and intel matrix storage ... The latest message i got when starting windows after a bluescreen is the ...
  • Re: Vista Bus to SBS2003R2 connectcomputer problems . . .
    ... I'm running premium SBS R2, but I haven't installed ISA yet. ... I was planning on installing ISA this weekend, but maybe I'll wait until this is sorted out. ... I have commited this machine to Vista now and will continue using my old XP laptop until the problem is resolved or I determine how to work around the problem manually. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)