Re: Vista Ultimate 32bit Upgrade - STOP Error

It is something related to drivers, not the drive. (Unless it is an older
IDE drive that needed ATAPI.sys support.)
You can try installing to the SATA drive, or go into BIOS and disable the
SATA support until install is done, or install SATA drivers from USB during
the install, or set the SATA drive to work in IDE mode. It's been almost two
years since I had this problem and now I only restore images. I do not
re-install from scratch, so... but for me, I updated the BIOS and unplugged
the second drive. Everything worked fine after that.

MS gives the following advice of which only the last two for 0x7B usually
apply: (and seems to coroborate my experience with this problem.)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935806

"Eyeon" <Eyeon.3ecpbb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

I tried to redo the upgrade with the sata drive not attached and
received the same error.

Does that mean it's probably the ide hdd causing the problem?

--
Eyeon
Eyeon's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/eyeon.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

  • Re: Install Sata drivers
    ... >>> beacause it already includes all the required sata, raid, etc drivers. ... >>the purposes of allowing WinXP to install without pressing F6. ... > connected via IDE -- i.e., there's no necessity for these drives to ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)
  • Re: Changing IDE to SATA drive without reinstalling/repairing OS
    ... A few months ago I transplanted my hard drive from my old system into a newer faster one without reinstalling Windows by first setting the driver for my primary IDE channel to generic "Standard Dual Channel PCI". ... I was then able to boot it on the new system and install all of the appropriate drivers and also delete all of the phantom devices. ... The chipset driver for the mother board has both Intel ATA and Intel SATA drivers. ...
    (alt.2600)
  • Re: Changing IDE to SATA drive without reinstalling/repairing OS
    ... Well I just decided I need a larger hard drive and the old drive is IDE. ... The chipset driver for the mother board has both Intel ATA ... So I changes the driver to the SATA version. ... I have a working Ghost image of a fresh XP install to the SATA drive. ...
    (alt.2600)
  • Re: XP/Linux dual boot, 2 disks
    ... >> In my BIOS, my SATA drive is not detected, I select to boot from SCSI ... >> I have CDROM and CDRW on my second IDE channel, and want to install ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: SATA DVD not recognized
    ... > Somehow I fail to see how changing the source file of a module one has ... > somehow this makes the install program not see the IDE CD drive it is ... SATA disk and PATA dvd drive, ...
    (Debian-User)