RE: Migrating from Windows 98SE to Vista

Thank you very much for responding to my question. I had the erroneous
impression that the Millenium 9.5 editon of Lotus was the most recent version.
You asked why I would think that the MS98 backup program might work. My
point of reference comes from working with IBM mainframes where program
compatibility was an objective. A program written to work on 360
architecture in the late 1960's could be expected to work twenty year later
even though the hardware architecture went through some number of iterations
during that period. That served the interests of their customer community.
From your comment this obviously has not been the case in the world of PC's.

"sjh" wrote:

I have several questions.
I have just purchased a new PC with Vista Home Premium. I plan to install
Lotus123 and Word Pro (Millenium Edition 9.5) which I've been using on my old
PC and migrate the files that I've backed up to the new machine. These were
backed up using the backup program that Microsoft provided with 98SE.
Assuming that I can extract and install the backup program on the new system,
is there any problem in doing this? Can that program be extracted? Would
that backup program work on Vista?
I've also backed up my favorites and my address files with this program. I
know Vista is very different but can you give me any guidance as to how I
might transfer these two files so that they would be usable on Vista?
Thanks...

  • Re: Can not get external HD BKF to run
    ... backup program to backup my computer onto an external Hard Drive. ... I had a mother board failure and I have decided to just convert to only using my Vista laptop. ... I have connected the external HD but when I try to run the backup.bkf file it will not run on the Vista computer. ... Vista has an 'Easy transfer' feature you may be able to use. ...
  • Re: Problems with Vista Backup Program - NEED some HELP!
    ... I'm attempting to setup the Vista backup program. ... The program wizard has detected the external hard drive when I want the backups to be saved to, however it's not detecting C or D drive - it says they are "missing" and that there are 0 bytes. ...
  • Migrating from Windows 98SE to Vista
    ... I have just purchased a new PC with Vista Home Premium. ... Assuming that I can extract and install the backup program on the new system, ...
  • Re: Migrating from Windows 98SE to Vista
    ... I have just purchased a new PC with Vista Home Premium. ... Assuming that I can extract and install the backup program on the new system, is there any problem in doing this? ... The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has killed a great many philosophers. ...
  • Re: Backup Utility is 4,095 megabytes
    ... You must install the backup program, ... install "NTBACKUP.EXE" from that pre-load. ... > to a USB HD of selected directories. ... I installed Drive Image 2002 but I ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)