Re: Enough 3rd-party apps to make 64bit Vista worthwhile?

Intel 64 architecture

Core 2 Processors have it:
'Intel® 64 Architecture'
(http://developer.intel.com/technology/intel64/index.htm)

Even some newer Celeron, Pentium 4, and Xenon processors have it:
'Intel Desktop Processors Get 64-Bit Support'
(http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/20050221comp.htm)

Here is Intel's CPU Page:
'Intel® Processors'
(http://www.intel.com/products/processor/index.htm?iid=prod_nav+proc)

Look for either "EM64T" support or "Intel 64 architecture"

--
breitak67

  • Re: Laptops, wait for Intel Centrino Core Duo?
    ... they change the name, or change the logo, Intel chips are still P4 based, ... The underlying architecture of the Pentium M is still P4. ... although I'm sure there's traces of NetBurst architecture in the P-m, its much closer ancestor is the Tualatin architecture. ... Basically the Pentium M is a step backward in order to meet a lower power window.... ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: [SLE] New laptop question
    ... Subject: New laptop question ... OK, so I'm edging towards going with the Intel CPU after all, but, I notice that the opensuse "choose an architecture" page doesn't even mention the Duo processors: ... Intel Xeon, Xeon MP, Pentium 4 Extreme Edition, Pentium D ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: FreeBSD 6.2, rebuild the system with CPUTYPE=prescott?
    ... ..."prescott" is a recognized architecture name to tune for, so you could set CPUTYPE to that value and recompile. ... there have been issues where turning such tuning has broken critical aspects of the boot loader, so there is some wisdom to being cautious. ... I tune all of my machines to just "pentium", which has not given me any problems, and is likely to include most of the performance benefits from claiming to not be an ancient 386/486-grade system that you might obtain from tuning for the latest P3/P4/Core variants. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Looking for a list of processor instructions
    ... Xeons implement a NetBurst-like architecture. ... have a bigger cache, quadruple bus speed, maybe trace cache ... Pentium M is a P4-like CPU that consumes less power. ... Intel Xeon: Intel SpeedStep tech? ...
    (comp.lang.asm.x86)
  • Re: Laptops, wait for Intel Centrino Core Duo?
    ... they change the name, or change the logo, Intel chips are still P4 ... The underlying architecture of the Pentium M is still P4. ... Basically the Pentium M is a step backward in order to meet a lower power ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)