Re: Disk management refuses to assign a disk letter. Help!

What would be the way to do that?

I don't seem to be able to do anything via "Disk Management, (see my very first post), and as far as I can see you cannot assign a drive letter to a partition using "Diskpart", only to a volume, which does not seem to exist.

Is there something else I can try?

"Curious >" <<spammenot@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:078594D1-EF1E-48CD-9B0B-B6C453B00581@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
What happens when you try and assign a Drive letter to the Partition?
My world book backup uses the drive letter I assign to the partition.
"Andy G" <georgi66@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:eSqDJws$IHA.4740@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Well, there is stuff on it, which is my only backups! I'm loath to format the drive as I cannot backup to DVD first, as that has stopped working too. So if the format fails, I'd be in a difficult place.

From what I can glean from various utilities, Vista, (and Diskpart), see no volume on the drive, although they both see a partition...

My old XP machine mounts the drive straight away, and I can see and use all files.

"JimB" <JimB.3e5go6@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:JimB.3e5go6@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'm not sure here, but is there stuff on it ? Otherwise I would format
it in NTFS (eventually partition it) from within the OS on which it is
connected; than I guarantee you it will be able to assign drive letters.

--
JimB

  • Re: Can I boot of an XP System disk, nested in a logical volume
    ... I'll boot of Partition Magic or some other kind of magic and fix it that-a-way. ... It's been a long time since I messed with partitions like this, but in the back of my head I have this fragment about boring registry hands-on editing, 'derived Disk ID's' and the 'Master Boot Sector' -- that's S as in 'Senile'. ... One reason for the drive letter change on cloned drives is to keep the parent drive hooked up the first time the clone is booted, being that the clone has the same Mount Manager database, and being that the Mount Manager *always* respects drive letter assignments, it will see the parent drive and its valid disk signature and assign the C: drive letter to the original C: drive, so there will be no C: letter available for the clone. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Can I boot of an XP System disk, nested in a logical volume
    ... The boot partition contains the Windows operating system and its support files. ... Note On dynamic disks, this is known as the system volume. ... The boot volume must always keep the drive letter assigned to it when Windows was installed. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: A Dual-boot question; I thought C was always the partition with the running OS
    ... I have assumed that it will call its partition the ... >> drive letters to the first primary partition recognized ... >> on each successive hard disk. ... >> When you boot your OS, it assigns drive letter C: ...
  • Re: Most services wont start
    ... AFAIK the default drive letter asignments are made in the sequence of the ... first drive partition on the boot drive being Drive C, ... I spent the weekend trying to clone an existing XP installation on a 20G ... If I manually start the services that msconfig has checked, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Dual booting two independently installed instances of XP
    ... partition/drive (not the current boot drive ?) Or do you need to do this ... The drive letter onto which Windows is installed cannot be ... If the installation was cloned from an installation on drive ... Unable to log on if the boot partition drive letter has changed ...