Re: Premium to Ultimate Upgrade problem

Volksmarch wrote:

So, I've been trying to find a good explanation, but everything I've
found says I shouldn't be having a problem.

I bought a new computer with Premium x64. Awhile back I had been able
to purchase a copy of Ultimate from the Microsoft Employee Store through
my employer.

After getting the computer cleaned of bloatware and installed with my
copies of Office and other programs, I realized Premium didn't have
remote access enabled, so I tossed the Ultimate disc in.

I did this while in Windows, not on boot. As others have had problems
with, the upgrade option is disabled.

Am I missing something to be able to do the upgrade?

It sounds like you are trying to upgrade a 64-bit operating system with a
32-bit operating system. This isn't possible. You'll need to do a clean
install.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

  • Re: regretting upgrade from ME to XP Home
    ... To know your machine's upgrade limitations install ASTRA32. ... Download ASTRA32 to know your computer's maximum RAM capacity (Look in DMI ... you can't uninstall an operating system. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • Re: Slow installs
    ... > program may have .95 gig of media files. ... > operating system and during that process a lot is going on including the ... >> I hope somebody can tell me why when doing an upgrade ... >> seconds but the install takes forever. ...
  • Re: XP Activation ? - legally
    ... you can use an upgrade edition instead of full product. ... install the earlier operating system, as long as you have the CD for it. ... what kind of backup devices you have available to hold the data while ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: WinXP Prof Upgrade CD Problems
    ... I suggest you return the upgrade to the retailer or directly to ... > "don't touch" settings on my computer that I need to wipe ... > the operating system and start with a fresh install. ...
  • Re: xp upgrade from 98se
    ... install and upgrade the existing operating system while simultaneously ... rather than upgrade over an earlier OS. ... translating as many personalized settings as possible. ... > and a clean install is the way to go... ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)