Re: Vista SP1 has crippled my PC!

LightScribe software from HP for the 6720s:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=3442832&prodNameId=3442833&swEnvOID=2094&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=ob-56554-1

"Andy G" <georgi66@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I would not be surprised if it were a bad install of LightScribe.

What exactly did you mean by " install the device with the HP driver"?

Andy

"Mark H" <jmhonzell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
This could be a bad install of LightScribe, or it is not actually
installed.
Either could affect the presence of your DVD drive.
It is usually bad to simply delete directories as the registry entries
are
still present and will be looking for things that are no longer there
and
other files will be orphaned that may try to run.

Better to install the device with the HP driver/software. See if that
cleans
up this particular problem by giving your DVD back. If not, then use the
uninstall that will now be present in Control Panel to cleanup more
correctly.

"Andy G" <georgi66@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hi Mark

Yes, it does use LightScribe, but the program does not show up in the
list
of installed programs, nor does it have an uninstall option on the
Start
menu entry!! How do I get rid of it? Would it be a bad move to just
delete
the directories. I'm never likely to use it by the way, perhaps I can
just
disable it in some way?

Any ideas?

Andy

"Mark H" <jmhonzell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Yes, OEM products usually comes at a price not understood by most
consumers.
The vendor's answer is almost always: Recovery. The data lost is not
theirs
and they are not concerned about it. And, older drivers are not
always
better, but vendor's drivers are almost always better than MS's
generic
drivers, even if they are older.

So,
At this point, you have two directions to proceed:
1. Uninstall SP1. This may prove to be difficult, but well worth a
shot
and
if it restores your capabilities, you can save all your data and
start
clean.
2. Download and install all the available drivers and updates from HP
for
the 6720s. Each will create restore points and each can be rolled
back
if
it
causes a problem. But, you will know that it has been "re-aligned"
back
HP's original configuration.

Other questions:
Does BIOS see the DVD drive?

Does this DVD drive use LightScribe?
If so, uninstall LightScribe. Reboot.
If Device Manager can now see the DVD drive, that should at least
give
you some backup capabilities.
You can try re-installing LightScribe later.

Did your external USB drive come with an installation disk? Most
likely
not,
but some do.
Does a flash stick work? (Does it get assigned a drive letter?)

"Andy G" <georgi66@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Thanks Mark, I really didn't want to hear that older drivers may be
better
than new ones, but I can see where you are coming from. It's a
6720s.

I had already installed the BIOS update. Since my last post I also
installed some of the HP Vista update files. Guess I should have
done
that
before trying SP1. (It's really not that obvious though to ordinary
people
who just want to use a computer..... All got much too complicated.)

But I now have my USB hub working and therefore I have a printer,
and
also
an external hard drive that shows in Device Manager, and Disk
Management
but
without a drive letter, and so cannot be seen by Windows Explorer
etc.
guess it's progress.

Still no sign of a working DVD drive. It shows in Device Manager,
but
says
driver could not be loaded. How do I force system to choose
cdrom.sys
as
the driver? It keeps trying to use one of the burning software
drivers
instead.

Anyway, thanks for the previous suggestion about downloading drivers
from
HP
website. It's got me moving anyway, although I despair about the
DVD
drive.

Andy

"Mark H" <jmhonzell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
The vendor's older drivers may be better than a generic up-to-date
MS
driver.

I don't know exactly which model of 6720 you are using.
But, apparently there is a BIOS update 19Jun08 that may apply. I'd
start
there.

"Andy G" <georgi66@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Yeah, I did that, but I couldn't actually see a driver for the
DVD
drive
hardware or for USB support. Any chance you could suggest which
driver
need?

Also, the machine was only bought in February of this year, and a
lot
of
the
drivers pre-date that so I'm assuming I already have them.

Thanks