Re: Vista SP1 has crippled my PC!

I would not be surprised if it were a bad install of LightScribe.

What exactly did you mean by " install the device with the HP driver"?

Andy

"Mark H" <jmhonzell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:ebY7LnV$IHA.1180@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
This could be a bad install of LightScribe, or it is not actually installed.
Either could affect the presence of your DVD drive.
It is usually bad to simply delete directories as the registry entries are
still present and will be looking for things that are no longer there and
other files will be orphaned that may try to run.

Better to install the device with the HP driver/software. See if that cleans
up this particular problem by giving your DVD back. If not, then use the
uninstall that will now be present in Control Panel to cleanup more
correctly.

"Andy G" <georgi66@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hi Mark

Yes, it does use LightScribe, but the program does not show up in the list
of installed programs, nor does it have an uninstall option on the Start
menu entry!! How do I get rid of it? Would it be a bad move to just
delete
the directories. I'm never likely to use it by the way, perhaps I can
just
disable it in some way?

Any ideas?

> Yes, OEM products usually comes at a price not understood by most
> consumers.
> The vendor's answer is almost always: Recovery. The data lost is not
> theirs
> and they are not concerned about it. And, older drivers are not always
> better, but vendor's drivers are almost always better than MS's generic
> drivers, even if they are older.
>
> So,
> At this point, you have two directions to proceed:
> 1. Uninstall SP1. This may prove to be difficult, but well worth a shot
> and
> if it restores your capabilities, you can save all your data and start
> clean.
> 2. Download and install all the available drivers and updates from HP
for
> the 6720s. Each will create restore points and each can be rolled back
if
> it
> causes a problem. But, you will know that it has been "re-aligned" back
> HP's original configuration.
>
> Other questions:
> Does BIOS see the DVD drive?
>
> Does this DVD drive use LightScribe?
> If so, uninstall LightScribe. Reboot.
> If Device Manager can now see the DVD drive, that should at least > give
> you some backup capabilities.
> You can try re-installing LightScribe later.
>
> Did your external USB drive come with an installation disk? Most likely
> not,
> but some do.
> Does a flash stick work? (Does it get assigned a drive letter?)
>
> "Andy G" <georgi66@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> Thanks Mark, I really didn't want to hear that older drivers may be
>> better
>> than new ones, but I can see where you are coming from. It's a 6720s.
>>
>> I had already installed the BIOS update. Since my last post I also
>> installed some of the HP Vista update files. Guess I should have done
> that
>> before trying SP1. (It's really not that obvious though to ordinary
> people
>> who just want to use a computer..... All got much too complicated.)
>>
>> But I now have my USB hub working and therefore I have a printer, and
>> also
>> an external hard drive that shows in Device Manager, and Disk
Management

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3442833&taskId=135&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=3442832&lang=en&cc=us

> far.

>> > although