What the @%* is an interactive window station?

I'm trying to get a flash drive working. It's an HP USB Digital drive, and uses an SD card inserted into a carrier with a USB connector. This worked absolutely fine on the machine it came with, a previous HP notebook running XP.

I now have a new HP/Compaq 6720s notebook running Vista Home Basic, and guess what, when I plug in the flash drive the PC searches all over the show for a driver. It says it's found one, but encountered a problem while trying to install it. The error message says "this operation needs an interactive window station", which rates fairly high on the unhelpful message scales. What do I do with that?

The annoying thing is these drives are just supposed to use a bog-standard native driver, are they not?

Grateful for any help!

Andy

.