Re: Migrating from Windows 98SE to Vista

sjh wrote:
I have several questions. I have just purchased a new PC with Vista Home Premium. I plan to install Lotus123

What specific version? It looks as if you'll need to upgrade to Lotus SmartSuite 9.8 to gain Vista-compatibility.

.... and Word Pro (Millenium Edition 9.5) which I've been using on my old PC .....

Again, it looks as if you'll need to upgrade to Lotus SmartSuite 9.8 to gain Vista-compatibility.

and migrate the files that I've backed up to the new machine. These were
backed up using the backup program that Microsoft provided with 98SE. Assuming that I can extract and install the backup program on the new system, is there any problem in doing this?

Yes. You won't be able to install Win98's backup program on Vista. I can't even imagine why you'd think it possible; the operating systems are generations (from a technology point-of-view) apart and radically different.

Can that program be extracted?

Doesn't matter.

Would that backup program work on Vista?

No. You'll need to extract those files on a Win98 machine before attempting to transfer them to the new PC.

I've also backed up my favorites and my address files with this program. I know Vista is very different but can you give me any guidance as to how I might transfer these two files so that they would be usable on Vista?

Restore the file from the Win98 backup format, copy them to a CD or thumb drive, and use that medium to transfer them to the Vista machine.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin

The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
.