Re: Vista SP1 has crippled my PC!

Agree with you about vendor attitudes. Note the point about generic drivers!

I'm going to start with your last two points re BIOS and LightScribe and see if I get any joy. Will post re results.

To answer the other two points. The external drive (WD MyBook 250 Gb) does not apparently need drivers, so no CD. It installed just fine with XP on a previous machine, and worked with no problems.

A flash drive, HP's own product!, does not show up at all, although it worked fine on a previous HP machine running XP. System tries to load drivers and gives message along lines of "found driver but encountered problem when installing. This operation needs an interactive window station". Which means nothing to me.

I feel like I'm drowning....

Cheers for now.

Andy

"Mark H" <jmhonzell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:OGD9KOK$IHA.4800@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Yes, OEM products usually comes at a price not understood by most consumers.
The vendor's answer is almost always: Recovery. The data lost is not theirs
and they are not concerned about it. And, older drivers are not always
better, but vendor's drivers are almost always better than MS's generic
drivers, even if they are older.

So,
At this point, you have two directions to proceed:
1. Uninstall SP1. This may prove to be difficult, but well worth a shot and
if it restores your capabilities, you can save all your data and start
clean.
2. Download and install all the available drivers and updates from HP for
the 6720s. Each will create restore points and each can be rolled back if it
causes a problem. But, you will know that it has been "re-aligned" back to
HP's original configuration.

Other questions:
Does BIOS see the DVD drive?

Does this DVD drive use LightScribe?
If so, uninstall LightScribe. Reboot.
If Device Manager can now see the DVD drive, that should at least give
you some backup capabilities.
You can try re-installing LightScribe later.

Did your external USB drive come with an installation disk? Most likely not,
but some do.
Does a flash stick work? (Does it get assigned a drive letter?)

"Andy G" <georgi66@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Thanks Mark, I really didn't want to hear that older drivers may be better
than new ones, but I can see where you are coming from. It's a 6720s.

I had already installed the BIOS update. Since my last post I also
installed some of the HP Vista update files. Guess I should have done
that
before trying SP1. (It's really not that obvious though to ordinary
people
who just want to use a computer..... All got much too complicated.)

But I now have my USB hub working and therefore I have a printer, and also
an external hard drive that shows in Device Manager, and Disk Management
but
without a drive letter, and so cannot be seen by Windows Explorer etc. I
guess it's progress.

Still no sign of a working DVD drive. It shows in Device Manager, but
says
driver could not be loaded. How do I force system to choose cdrom.sys as
the driver? It keeps trying to use one of the burning software drivers
instead.

Anyway, thanks for the previous suggestion about downloading drivers from
HP
website. It's got me moving anyway, although I despair about the DVD
drive.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3442833&taskId=135&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=3442832&lang=en&cc=us

>> > "Andy G" <georgi66@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> although
>> > USB

>> > install

>> > but
> (USB),
>> > no
> anything
>> > on
>> > course.

> my

> can

  • Re: ***Hardware malfunction***system has halted
    ... I assume you checked for any BIOS updates-- Next, BIOS has an area used by ... > motherboard, 2 memory cards, hard drive, power supply and monitor. ... I noticed you had mentioned about the old drivers when you ... > not let me install it. ...
  • Re: old xp home computers
    ... > clean install ....i hope. ... utilities on the Internet for the type of BIOS you have. ... You also have hardware on your machine that requires drivers to interface ...
  • Re: Faulty XP Pro Installation.
    ... Dell support for the drivers and BIOS upgrade. ... I would still do a Clean Install. ... > After upgrading to IE 7.0, I lost the sound on this computer. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Format Fdsik XP
    ... you can install it first thing. ... patch/install the drivers you prepared with earlier. ... network drivers and finally your video card drivers. ... of the hardware drivers from here - always go to the actual manufacturers ...
  • RE: BLUE SCREEN - Prescott CPU Soyo Motherboard SP2
    ... Refer to the user manual for how to flash BIOS and config the CMOS. ... Download the latest WHQL drivers for your nvidia vedio card from nvidia.com ... Save and exit BIOS setup then reboot. ... After XP is successfully installed and loaded, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)