Re: Dual Boot VIsta Ultimate and XP Home

Here's an explanation of the problem:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931854
Here's the reference that explaines Vista's new partitioning
format: http://www.multibooters.co.uk/partitions.html
Here's just one How-To that uses VistaBootPro:
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/install_windows_xp_on_machine_running_vista.htm
Here's a How-To that uses Vista's own "bcdedit" command:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529

*TimDaniels*

"GrahamH" wrote:
Hi,
Could be that when you used vista to do the partitioning and
formatting XP didnt like it. There is i believe something different
in the structure of Vista`s partitioning and formating. It may not
be backward compatible, at least with 3rd party partitoning
software. Cant rememeber what the difference is but a search
on the web will find it. I guess you installed XP on an extended
partition/logical drive in which case the mbr would have been
overwritten by the o/s and also system files. This is the way i
did it, as it then isolates each o/s from each other.

I have installed XP home and Vista premium on same drive and
the way i did it was to create two Primary partitions and format
ntfs using paragon hard disk manager.
I installed XP on the second primary and Vista on the first.
Just make the partition you want to install O/S on active first.
I also created on the second primary an extended partition and
logical drive and installed XP again for testing software purposes.
So i can boot to Vista / Xp / and Xp test.
You need to use a boot manager like paragon that can select
and make active either partition depending on o/s selection at boot.

Good luck
Graham....

"john p murphy" wrote:
Ok, so i am bored last weekend, i am presently running Vista Ultimate,
and figured i would install XP HOme editon, i create a partition using
vista disk management, format it, put some files on it, partiton was
just fine, so i put in the xp disk, reboot, does the standard XP thing
copying windows files, now time to reboot, after reboot, i get this
message, missing operating system, well i tried to reinstall again and
again, so i put in the vista dvd, boot, go to repair, repair fails
miserably, so i just figure, new vista install, so i do, get to the
part to partiton, etc, what i notice is now i have 3 partitions, C,D,
and an unallocated space, small, so i remove all the partitions, and
just install vista, no problems, running fine now, what i am curious
about is what the hell just went on,????? years ago, i never had
problems doing dual boots, xp and 98 , its killing me not knowing what
the hell was going on and what happened?? thanks for any help with
this, i am losing sleep on this one LOL

  • Re: Reminder: Windows XP Runs Natively On Intel Macs
    ... "insert the XP CD or the Vista DVD when the ... partition, my current Vista partition, and the DVD drive containing ... This is why you have to select a boot volume in the BIOS. ... put the Vista install DVD in the drive, ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Dual Boot Instructions
    ... I ended up reinstalling Vista, ... The boot SECTOR is not the bootLOADER. ... finds the partition table for that HDD and sees that the first partition is ... violated, we no longer can simply install WinXP, install Vista and ...
  • Re: reformatting xp
    ... to do a low level format just to delete one partition. ... In order to do a very clean install you may want to download and ... format your primary partition and install XP. ... drives) and i just want to format one of the partitions. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 46, Issue 194
    ... Vista (running ubuntu) ... Ubuntu Gaming/Vista Partition ... and lets you install, but it never completes. ... GTA San Andreas won't work on my laptop while running vista (Even though I ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: How do I label a disk?
    ... now I am going to definitely install solaris but I have this ... > to a dead disk. ... I tried to label it with the format command: ... format> partition ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)