Re: Drive "not accessible"

"JTube" <jtube@xxxxxxx> wrote in message news:efTdy9g%23IHA.4196@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The primary os installation (Vista) on one of the my computers' drives is no longer accessible, either to boot from or to access from a different drive.

The problem started when, upon rebooting, chkdsk began examining my drives and began replacing the "invalid security id" for thousands of files.
The message displayed for each sequential file was:
"replacing invalid security id with default security id for file xxxxxx."

Unfortunately, it continued doing this for what may have been 100's of thousands of files.

Now, attempts to boot from the drive result in a few drivers being loaded before a blank screen appears.

Is there any way of , at least, accessing the drive to retrieve some files?

I tried using the Windows installation disk to repair but was unsuccessful.

Very doubtful, by the sound of it.

Was the computer slow or acting strangely while leading up to this?

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

  • Sandisk Utility
    ... i am trying to boot my board via CF through a IDE to CF adapter. ... FAT32 compact flash boot drive ... When I download the image to _the same CF card_ when it is formatted ... a hard drive and copy finished image to the flash drives. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded)
  • Re: BootIt NG high level steps - best approach??
    ... backup boot strategy. ... As far as BING, I should tell you I've been using this software ... make managing your bootable options and partition management so much easier. ... drives) and the DATA partition on a mirrored array. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage)
  • Re: 160 Gb drive in a removable caddy give "disk error press ctrl alt del" on boot
    ... But the 120Gb does boot. ... so, you're working with only a single mobile rack, right? ... GB HDD it boots & functions just fine, ... The full capacity has always been seen of all drives it is just a boot ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: HDD Image Backup Restore Software Recommendations
    ... My experience was that, no matter which HDD you booted from, you could not see the non-boot HDD if it was configured with a primary Windows boot partition. ... pressing F12, I am immediately taken to my BIOS start list, namely the three ... it may be selectable among your installed drives, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: how to change out system disk?
    ... Inaccessible_Boot_Device, when trying to boot from the new HD, but sometimes ... WinXP booted, you can still run Word, Quicken or whatever without having to ... following the primary partition and the first logical drive ). ... > logical drives in a single extended partition. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)