Drive "not accessible"

The primary os installation (Vista) on one of the my computers' drives is no longer accessible, either to boot from or to access from a different drive.

The problem started when, upon rebooting, chkdsk began examining my drives and began replacing the "invalid security id" for thousands of files.
The message displayed for each sequential file was:
"replacing invalid security id with default security id for file xxxxxx."

Unfortunately, it continued doing this for what may have been 100's of thousands of files.

Now, attempts to boot from the drive result in a few drivers being loaded before a blank screen appears.

Is there any way of , at least, accessing the drive to retrieve some files?

I tried using the Windows installation disk to repair but was unsuccessful.

  • Re: XP to Windows 7
    ... on your 2 internal HD you have an XP installation on each HD and therefore ... I really have no need to have a true dual boot W7/XP system. ... want is 3 independent bootable systems on 3 different HDs, ... By disconnecting all drives except the drive where you will install W7 onto ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: New XP Installation on new hard drive - will not read from CD
    ... >>Assuming your system is set to boot from the CD-ROM ... >>To Repair a Windows XP Installation using Recovery ... drive and both CD drives are ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: XP Home and XP Pro on two separate drives
    ... , while the CD and DVD drives are on the other ... slave and boot from my old XP configuration (with the old drive as ... :> In the case of SATA HDs, the default HD boot order is just ... :> During installation of WinXP, ...
  • Re: moving from FC 5 to FC 8
    ... New computer now has 3 hard drives in the following configuration. ... sdb - new 500 GB drive with Windows Vista ... Used the BIOS to alter the boot sequence to: ... So I'm pretty sure that the Kubuntu installation left the MBR on sdb intact from the Windows installation and upgraded the GRUB installation on sda from the FC 5 installation. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Boot problems with RAID
    ... did boot up OK. ... I wanted to avoid having to un-RAID the drives as the rebuild takes an age ... drives hooked up and reboot to the old XP install but what would have ... See if you can boot the installation ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)