RE: Newly built Vx64 box... having issues.

I had the same issue when building my first 64 bit machine. The problem was
resolved by resetting the CMOS by pushing the button on the motherboard and
then going into CMOS and adjusting the processor speed. Some processors are
finiky about the speeds at which it is set and it is especially prevalent in
64bit architechture. Also, make sure that there is nothing causing a short.
Sometimes the screws holding the motherboard in place will touch something
and cause a short or if the wrong screws were used to secure the motherboard
or if the ground is improperly connected.

"Blackened" wrote:

First off, this isn't my first PC that I've built, however, the last I
built was an AMD XP 32 system, and was fairly plug and play. This one,
not so much. I've had over 300 BSODs, and am still nowhere near an up
and running PC. I'll start with the specifics on the system:

'Intel Core 2 Duo E8400'
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037)

'Patriot Viper 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333'
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220286)

'EVGA 512-P3-N800-TR GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express
2.0 x16'
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130359)

'Antec TPQ-850 850W ATX12V / EPS12V'
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371009)

'Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX'
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021)

'Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST3250310NS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s'
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148309) (ended
up being x2 on this, although the second wasn't until the system was
"up", more info later)

'LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model DH-20A4P-04'
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106228)

'Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic SP1 64-bit'
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116483)

'GIGABYTE GA-EP35C-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX'
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128082)

Ok, first off, I may know my way around a computer, but by no means
know everything. Is there a glaring incompatibility issue with any of
the components above?

I've had so many BSODs I can't even begin to remember where and for
what they started, but basically after getting Vx64 installed and
getting a desktop, I started to attempt to update drivers from the discs
supplied with the hardware, namely the mobo and video card. I was also
forced to update the Intel chipset (which was fine, sounded like
something important...). Eventually I had a stable desktop, and IE 64
was operable, but it wouldn't install FF 3.0 or anything for that
matter, not to mention frequent BSODs for no apparent reason (I wasn't
doing anything in paticular, sometimes even on the laptop without
touching the PC it would BSOD).

If I remember correctly, the last constant error I would receive when
attempting to run WMP, sometimes IE (32 or 64) or installing software,
was something along the lines of "the side-by-side configuration of this
program is (...)" and I don't recall exactly what is said, but was
halting everything.

Jump to today, when my second HDD arrived, I attempted to install it
just to get it up and running, and now the PC won't even power up. I
removed the new one to see if I could get it up and running again, and
nothing. I started removing power to the devices, and the only thing
that will even get it running is removing the power from the CPU itself
(4 pin connector that runs to the mobo right next to the cpu) which of
course would get power to the system, but wouldn't run anything. As soon
as I plug that back in, it would flash on and power down for 3 to 4
seconds, and repeat until I stopped it. I have no idea why this started
occuring, I reset everything to pre-second HDD settings and it still
won't boot.

So, I understand this is quite a bit, but I'm at a loss. This might be
past my technical experience level, but before these errors I didn't
feel it was. Now I'm not sure what to do, if my system's hardware is
incompatible, or Vista 64 is doing something, but I'm just not sure
where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appriciated, and I
appoligize if this is in the wrong forum, please feel free to move the
thread. Thanks again

--
Blackened

.