Re: TOP: C0000218 {Registry File Failure): how to fix it in Vista Ulti

I have the same problem with running Vista 64 with greater than 3 GB of
RAM in the system.

I have a GA-P35T-DQ6, latest BIOS (F6), latest drivers, etc. Yes, I
have the SATA in a Mirror RAID (1). It will boot fine with 3 GB of RAM,
but I need 8 GB for work.

I am working on two possible resolutions: (1) a workaround by creating
a second boot profile that limits the memory to 3 GB (using msconfig)
but points to the same windows install, this would be used when
installing updates only and to create a clean boot to move back to the
full 8 GB; and (2) removing ReadyBoot so that precaching can not happen
on boot.

I am documenting at 'Dennis Quebe's Blog'
(http://blog.quebesystems.com), and while it needs further testing, so
far I have had good luck with booting without BSOD.

--
dquebe

  • Re: Continuous beeping and Machine_check_exception STOP:A 0X0000009C
    ... When I couldn't get the ram to work in slots 1 and 2 due to continuous beeping, I moved to slots 3 & 4. ... I tried to do a windows xp repair but I can't get the system to boot from anything but the hard drive. ... I have tried resetting the bios and hitting f12 while booting. ... Before installing or using any high level OS, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: PXE - Remote Boot with 2 PXE network cards
    ... > the RAM but the load progress bar is totally blank after about 1.5 ... At the end of the sdi transfer (when the load progress bar is ... > that in the second case, the boot stops after the SDI loading. ... > Could it be a BIOS problem or the role of the BIOS is before this step ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded)
  • Re: Making a L440GX+ work (was "Trying to revive a server... AIC-7896 freezes pre-POST compl
    ... The general rule with ram is you can run faster ram than you need, just usually wastes money that faster RAM costs. ... That jumper should reset the BIOS to factory defaults to allow it to get through the post and into setup. ... I know this isn't a FreeBSD question really, but I just started up a motherboard with onboard SCSI, and for some odd reason it freezes pre-POST before it attempts to boot and there isn't any way where I can get into the BIOS to change the settings it seems. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Making a L440GX+ work (was "Trying to revive a server... AIC-7896 freezes pre-POST compl
    ... The general rule with ram is you can run faster ram than you need, just usually wastes money that faster RAM costs. ... That jumper should reset the BIOS to factory defaults to allow it to get through the post and into setup. ... I know this isn't a FreeBSD question really, but I just started up a motherboard with onboard SCSI, and for some odd reason it freezes pre-POST before it attempts to boot and there isn't any way where I can get into the BIOS to change the settings it seems. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Fast Start-up
    ... If you can keep the RAM live, then why can't you just suspend? ... like a car battery, and nobody wants your device to accidentally drain that ... Faster processors generally boot faster. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded)