Re: Shrink Volume for dual boot

When I used the Vista built-in partitioning tool after I first got my
computer, I ran into similar problems. There are some important
limitations to the Vista partitioning tools that you should keep in
mind: you can only shrink and expand NTFS or RAW (unformatted)
partitions; when you shrink, there are some unmovable files such as
page files or shadow copy storage areas that inhibit the amount of
shrinkage allowed; you cannot extend a partition into unallocated space
to the left (lower disk addresses) of the partition to be added to; you
cannot move around unallocated space; if you have too many bad clusters
on the disk, then you cannot shrink a partition on it. Many of these
limitations are removed by commercial products such as those from
Symantec and Acronis...

Boot-It NG is a shareware partition management utility that can be used
to manage the shrinking and extending of partitions better than Vista's
built-in tool. It has an old DOS style interface, but it works well.
You can get it here:
'Boot Manager, Partition Manager, and Drive Image Utility - BootIt Next
Generation'
(http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootit-next-generation.htm)
I downloaded the free trial version and burned it to a CD with the
included program MakeDisk.exe in order to be able to move some
unallocated space immediately behind one of my four partitions that I
wanted to extend. I just booted from the CD, clicked on the menu choice
for "Partition Work", and then used the "partition slide" concept to
move the unallocated space. The TerabyteUnlimited site has a good deal
of documentation, tutorials, answers to FAQs, videos, etc. for how to
use the program:
'TeraByte Unlimited :: Support :: BootIt Next Generation'
(http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/support-bootit-next-generation.htm)

--
LeeTutor

  • Re: shrinking NTFS partitions on Windows laptop
    ... a built-in resizing spinner for NTFS file systems, ... The resizing and partition writing gets done after ... I was able to shrink the system NTFS partion using tools found in Vista and a third party tool which was either freeware or shareware. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Can I shrink an entire volume group to make room for an non LVM partition?
    ... group] (save for a mere 14GB boot partition). ... /dev/hda2 Linux LVM ... If I could shrink the LVM by 5GB at the begining, ... entirely full of LVs. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • page file issue with partition? / want to dual boot win7 with vista
    ... vista (home premium). ... creates a partition? ... i am only allowed to shrink by 21976 Mb. ...
  • Re: rescue from Live USB?
    ... I have a Fedora 11 live USB. ... Recovering the installation is more problematic - it depends ... f11 partition, which is an LVM partition that is only ... You first have to use the LVM tools to shrink the logical volume, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Microsoft Vista -- can it get any worse?
    ... only as far as the last immovable file. ... In the event the DM shrink would only shrink the C: ... partition to 112 GB, despite there only being 16 GB in use on the disk! ... So she had to be satisfied with 56 GB for Linux, ...
    (uk.rec.sheds)