Re: Installation problem

"R. C. White" <rc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:uHkd1oL%23IHA.4816@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi, Roberto.

screen which says "installing now, please waite..." nothing further
happens - just the hour glass.

You didn't tell us how long you waited. Some of the waits are MUCH longer than we expect. So long as the hour glass (or the spinning doughnut, as some call it) is working, Vista Setup is probably busy behind the scenes. Some of my waits have been a half-hour or more and I've heard of even longer waits.

Too bad Setup does not provide better feedback to keep us from worrying - or from powering down and having to start over. :>(

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Thanks for your input, to be honest I hadn't considered that senario, just been expecting setup to "do something in a timely fasion" the way XP or Win98 installations do.
Will give it another go and get back.

rgds
Roberto

"Roberto le Cornielle" <whoisit@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:Ox$ZFAu9IHA.4536@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Trying to install Vista Business but it fails just after the point
were you have inputed the Product Key and regional details and you
have the
screen which says "installing now, please waite..." nothing further
happens - just the hour glass.

Machine specs are :

Antec NSK4000B Case with 500W Power Supply
MSI K9 NEO3 MoBo
AMD A64 X2 Dual Core 4800+ AM2 CPU
1 X 2GB Kingston 800MHz Hyper RAM
MSI NX8400 GS TD256E Graphics card
WD 250GB JS Caviar SATA11 HDD
Pioneer DVR-216 SATA Optical Drive
All above are new components

Things I have tried

Swapped out all components bar MoBo & CPU
Set BIOS to "fail safe".
Run WD diagnostics on HDD and memtest86 on RAM
Checked MSI site for BIOS update, although nothing specific comes up
relating
to a hang during setup, I have flashed the BIOS with the latest
available update.
Tried installing to a raw HDD and allowing setup to create partition[s]
Partitioning to30GB primary with BootitNG, rest as logical in extended
partition
before running setup .

Oddly enough I can succesfully install and use XP Pro on this
machine so this tends to rule out bad hardware, also the Vista DVD
will install to a machine with an MSI K9 NEO2 MoBo, so DVD appears to
be good.

Has anyone seen this behaviour in a simillar setup ?.
all help appreciated

rgds
Roberto

  • Re: Installation problem
    ... So long as the hour glass is working, Vista Setup is probably busy behind the scenes. ... MSI K9 NEO3 MoBo ... Tried installing to a raw HDD and allowing setup to create partition ...
  • Re: Setup failure
    ... MSI K9 NEO3 MoBo ... Set BIOS to "fail safe". ... to a hang during setup, I have flashed the BIOS with the latest available update. ... Tried installing to a raw HDD and allowing setup to create partition ...
  • Re: Installation problem
    ... So long as the hour glass is working, Vista Setup is probably busy behind the scenes. ... Got to the same point in the install process as before - copying Windows files got the green tick, then it started the expanding files part, there it remained on zero percent for 40mins and finaly completed sometime during the night,. ... Next day I rebooted the machine it went to the desktop in an acceptable time, I then installed the chipset drivers from the MSI Vista drivers CD, but after rebooting and running the drivers CD to continue with the remaining drivers it locked up solid and the only way out was to press the reset button.There it remains, it will boot up but any attempt to use the optical drive locks it up solid. ...
  • Re: Unable to reinstall SBS Monitoring
    ... Uninstall Windows SBS 2003 R2 components". ... they ask to see "Installing the Windows Small Business ... Rerun Setup, and retry installing ... B5CA-19397244DCFD})of sql setup at Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Management Points
    ... I cut and pasted what im getting in the MSI error log. ... FilesInUse_Info = Setup has detected that it needs to update some files that are currently in use by other processes. ... WelcomeDialog_Info = This will install the Systems Management Server Management Point. ... UserExitDialog_Info = The SMS Management Point setup was cancelled. ...
    (microsoft.public.sms.admin)