Re: Partition Performance

Whether you have a single or multiple partitions is immaterial to a decent
Imaging application as it will image it all.
Generally a single partition is best, but whether you would actually notice
any performance differential with multiple partitions is a mute point.
Presumably you realise win & the drive is only part of the performance
process

"Poul Wittig" <PoulWittig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I am receiving a new computer this Friday which will be running Vista
Business 64 bit. It will contain a 500 gb Sata 2 hard disc.

Now I will try to explain my question as simple as possible:
Will having a partition dedicated for Windows and another for everything
else perform worse than having one whole partition where everything is in?
Considering that in both scenarios everything is defragmented?

In my imagination, it would perform worse because the hard disc head will
have to move all the way from windows system files to program files all
the
time. But I'm not the expert, that's why I'm writing this right now :)

The reason I ask is that it is extremely convenient to clone my windows
partition for ease in backup. But the primary role of the computer will be
gaming so performance is first priority.

  • Re: Cloning using BootIT NG
    ... Windows had done was create an extended partition out of ... >media using BING 1.60f. ... someone may be imaging ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Registry Backup
    ... better to use Imaging, as a fallback or recovery method. ... setup so personal data resides on it's own partition, ... A clone is a clone is a clone. ... Ghost, Acronis True Image, etc., is used to clone the contents of one HD ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Cloning using BootIT NG
    ... I've been using BING for a long time, at least four years, so ... I don't do much imaging to CD-R/RW, ... imaging the partition to another FAT32 or NTFS partition (i.e., ... Why is only 2 GB of data taking up nine-plus disks? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: SATA and Ghost 2002
    ... drive and the imager in the bootable CD to keep track of the incremental ... track of that in the image files, ... and so you restore the image to partition 2 ... Just as true with imaging, ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage)
  • Re: Simplest way to create a "clone disc"
    ... The distinction becomes interesting when you use an imaging ... > Cloning a partition to me means to create a partition on another hard ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)