Re: alot of bsod when installing updates

"thebigreddude" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:f20ee646adb2edc4bf0dd0a2e7acff9a@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

i recently purchased and built a new computer; i decided i would but
vista x64 on it. the first drive i recieved i figured was doa (sata wd
raptor wd3000) b/c vista could not detect it as a suitable device to
install on. i also heard clicking sounds. the second one i got was a
sata wd caviar se16 wd3200aaks. i was able to use it for a while, but
when i was trying to install drivers for the different devices i had, i
would bsod and have to start over. i also tried installing half life 2,
and steam caused a bsod. at the end i had a few problems where i could
not boot, or it would keep rebooting after i would try to log on. i
attempted to reformat the drive and reinstall vista (this time w/ 32),
and it said that the device was unstable and needed to be replaced. i
returned the 2nd hdd and bought an identical one (the raptor was from
newegg, and i am still holding out hope for it) and the system got a
bsod when i was installing vista x64 again. i eventually got it
installed, but i have yet to install any updates b/c i am worried that
the system is just unstable. i liked vista when it worked, but it just
seems so unstable. is it possible that my MOB is bad? or is something
else going on? here are my specs:

asus m3a32-mvp deluxe (not wifi model)
msi r4870 graphics card
CORSAIR Dominator 4GB (4 x 1GB) 1066
samsung t220 monitor
samsung SATA Model SH-S223F dvd/cd burner
fsp 800w psu
windows vista ultimate sp1
sata wd caviar se16 wd3200aaks

i am pretty desperate b/c i do not have another computer, so i have to
post forums at work. i appreciate all the help i can get, and apologize
if i have forgotten anything.

--
thebigreddude

Try running setup with only 2GB of RAM installed, consult the MoBo manual as to which slots to use for the RAM

rgds
Roberto

  • Re: trying to put XP on a new Gateway laptop
    ... for daring to post the truth that not all software runs on vista 64. ... got same error message when tried to run XP CD install. ... Put original hard drive from the laptop into enclosure. ... To access the SATA hard drive with the XP install CD, ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: I cant install Vista 64.
    ... As this is a SATA drive Vista may not have the appropriate drivers in which case you will need to install the SATA driver during the install of the operating system. ...
  • Re: Install Vista from SATA DVD drive?
    ... SATA DVD drive ... Vista surely isn't going to get a chance to start installing if the DVD ... else I'll have to install an ATA DVD drive to install Vista. ... I need to post screenshots of my application for my website, ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)
  • Re: Cant figure out how to configure RAID with P6T6 WS Revolution
    ... Vista 64 Home Premium ... drives were set up as IDE. ... I did not install any drivers during my Vista install to get the ... I had the Sony BD-ROM installed in the SATA Port 1. ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)
  • Re: Installing XP on a new Vista PC - 2 HDDs, 2 OSs???
    ... with Vista that comes with 2 SATA 500 GB Hard Drives. ... So I thought to install XP Pro in the 2nd HD, and keep Vista ... to boot the machine. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)