Re: Upgrade Install from Ultimate?

DanA - boot from the Vista DVD - select setup - files will load - (be
patient) proceed to setup screen which will have an option to repair.
Select repair and and select repair from the tools option,

Vista will scan for a Vista installation - select it for repair. Vistas
(and XPs repair other than Recovery Console) are actually upgrade
installations.

"DanA" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

I am using Vista Ultimate x64 Build 6001 SP1.
Intel® Core(TM)2 CPU 6700 @ 2.66GHz 2.66 GHz Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB, 1
year old
The computer exposes a number of strange symptoms. After an extensive
research (including anti-malware scanning) I came to the conclusion that
one or more Vista System files are corrupted or missing.
How can I repair Vista without having to reinstall al programs and
settings?
Is it possible to trick Vista to make an Upgrade Install (which I
understand keeps the programs and settings) from Ultimate to Ultimate?
When I try this, a message tells me that I can upgrade only to a newer
(?) version.

Thanks a lot,
Dan

--
DanA

  • Re: windows vista not booting up
    ... If the OP Foxy can't boot, this probably includes booting into Safe Mode, and if so then I don't see how he's going to reach Event Viewer. ... In most cases the Vista DVD is bootable, and bios setup isn't going to make any difference but you can always check it to make sure that nothing is in the way of boot order. ... Download Vista Repair Disk ... First try 3 options from Startup Repair. ...
  • Re: Striped Dynamic volumes becoming Invalid
    ... Windows Vista 64BIT is fully updated with all the updates inc SP1. ... How to Use Startup Repair from the Vista DVD or the Repair Disk you make: ... First try 3 options from Startup Repair. ...
  • Re: Striped Dynamic volumes becoming Invalid
    ... Windows Vista 64BIT is fully updated with all the updates inc SP1. ... Volume in disk manager we found it was listed as Dynamic + Invalid. ... How to Use Startup Repair from the Vista DVD or the Repair Disk you make: ... First try 3 options from Startup Repair. ...
  • Re: Cant start Vista after changing partions
    ... I wanted to try out Windows 7, but I didn't want to upgrade Vista yet ... starting windows normally or to launch startup repair. ... and downloaded a Vista repair disk because my HP laptop restore disk ...
  • Re: Vista keeps BSOD all the time - Blue screen - any ideas?
    ... Is it worth re-installing Vista or does this sound like a physical ... Download Vista Repair Disk ... How to Use Startup Repair from the Vista DVD or the Repair Disk you make: ...