Re: Upgrade Install from Ultimate?

DanA - boot from the Vista DVD - select setup - files will load - (be
patient) proceed to setup screen which will have an option to repair.
Select repair and and select repair from the tools option,

Vista will scan for a Vista installation - select it for repair. Vistas
(and XPs repair other than Recovery Console) are actually upgrade
installations.

"DanA" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

I am using Vista Ultimate x64 Build 6001 SP1.
Intel® Core(TM)2 CPU 6700 @ 2.66GHz 2.66 GHz Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB, 1
year old
The computer exposes a number of strange symptoms. After an extensive
research (including anti-malware scanning) I came to the conclusion that
one or more Vista System files are corrupted or missing.
How can I repair Vista without having to reinstall al programs and
settings?
Is it possible to trick Vista to make an Upgrade Install (which I
understand keeps the programs and settings) from Ultimate to Ultimate?
When I try this, a message tells me that I can upgrade only to a newer
(?) version.

Thanks a lot,
Dan

--