Re: Vista Ultimate-adding hard drive

Regardless, I was referring to the connectors on the mobo (some are raid and some are solo).

"CdLsRN" <NOSPAM@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:%23J7r2Tr2IHA.5664@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I brought this drive back after trying to install it with Dell. They said it
was defective. I got a 1 TB Seagate, SATA, hard drive. It installed easily,
with directions from Dell's owner manual (different from the dell help).

"Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
As Dustin suggests, it sounds like you have connected to a raid controller
instead of a standard controller.

"CdLsRN" <NOSPAM@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I have a Dell XPS 420 desktop with 750 GB, and 4 gb memory. I tried to
add a Seagate 750GB hard drive today. I put it in according to Dell
instructions. went to BIOS setup . the drive was enabled properly. Only
with drive configuration in Auto Detect Raid was it detected. Then only
as 40 gb. Re-booted and windows wouldn't boot up. What went wrong here?

  • Re: Xeon Woodcrest Preys On Opteron
    ... Right now I'm trying to get F/W updates for Seagate ... i mean, is it the nForce4 software, or the hardware, ... but i'll be using them RAID 1E with a somewhat high end ... F/W 3.AAD, they send an upgrade to 3.AAE followed by the 3.AAH upgrade. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips)
  • Re: Lost 1500 gigs - Thanks Seagate!
    ... Thanks Seagate! ... it would last a year or two at least, by then I could update to raid 1 ... There were firmware issues with some Seagate drives. ... is the array capacity is less than 2TB, ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: Dell SAS 5 SATA RAID Performance Issues
    ... I did open up a case with Dell and the upshot is that enabling write caching on the SAS 5ir controller dramatically improves performance with the caveat that data can be corrupted if power is suddenly lost. ... Because you user hard ware RAID, for the performance issue, please contact your hardware manufacture for more help. ... Uninstall and reinstall the Dell SAS 5ir RAID card driver, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Help with a RAID-0 system
    ... When the dell logo came up it hit ctrl -i to enter the raid bios Next I thought i turned off raid. ... I rebooted and went back to raid bios and switched from one of the auto detch to another and like a dumb a-- didn't write down what I changed. ... To begin the transition to another operating mode for the disks, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Lost 1500 gigs - Thanks Seagate!
    ... Thanks Seagate! ... it would last a year or two at least, by then I could update to raid 1 ... is the array capacity is less than 2TB, ... In terms of RAID migration, ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)