Re: activation problem

Boot into Vista Business, insert your DVD and do an in-place upgrade using the Product Key. After the (re)installation completes, you should be able to activate. Most likely you will need to phone it in.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"r.bartlett" <r.bartlett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:5606AFF8-31A8-481A-A1D4-EA8F399822C3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi guy's

I did a new install with vista business. 'upgrade' . The reason for this
was a new hard drive. I couldn't -then- see the point of installing xp then
vista then start the long hard migration process. I was told of a work
around, so I did.

Now I'm getting 'activation' notices which when I try I get "this is an
upgrade pack not a clean install" failed

Now I have XP disks/codes here which are genuine -can I phone MS and would
they allow me to quote a XP product key rather than having to go through the
whole process again?

All software legit and above board - can send pics to prove ;-)

Any help/work around most welcome

Cheers

Richard

  • Re: Install Ultimate 64bit with Dell OEM Key
    ... Since you used it to qualify for the upgrade, ... then you install that on the new machine as ... You will enter the product key for Vista when you ... I purchased Vista Ultimate upgrade media retail edition 18 months ago ...
  • Re: Install Ultimate 64bit with Dell OEM Key
    ... a clean install of V64 without inputting the licence key and then upgrade ... You will enter the product key for Vista when you ... I purchased Vista Ultimate upgrade media retail edition 18 months ago ...
  • Re: Install Ultimate 64bit with Dell OEM Key
    ... So is it a violation of the EULA if I install XP on to the new machine, ... upgrade path criteria for Vista, then you install that on the new machine as ... You will enter the product key for Vista when you ... I purchased Vista Ultimate upgrade media retail edition 18 months ago ...
  • Re: Vista Home Premium Activation Issue
    ... upgrade edition because I already purchased prior editions and as a loyal MS ... painstaking week to install my applications, ... Your upgrade product key therefore will not work. ... The safest method is to install XP then upgrade to Vista Home Premium OR ...
  • Re: Install Ultimate 64bit with Dell OEM Key
    ... If you have an on the shelf product that you can expire and it meets the upgrade path criteria for Vista, then you install that on the new machine as your second boot path. ... You will enter the product key for Vista when you upgrade to x64 since you are replacing a previous windows. ... > I purchased Vista Ultimate upgrade media retail edition 18 months ago ...