Re: Reinstalling Vista

It will still work. In the event is says the key is already in use, it will just require a phone call to Microsoft to activate the product. This is only because the MS servers see that it was already activated. Now, it is being activated again, so they question whether or not it's on a different machine, or the same one just being reinstalled. But, you are able to reinstall and activate without purchasing another license. With OEM, though, only as long as it is on the same hardware (or same motherboard, anyway).

As for Office 2007, same thing. Although, I've never had to make the phone call with that one myself. And I've reinstalled several times.

--

Dustin Harper
dharper@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Was this helpful? Then click the Ratings button. Voting helps the web
interface.
http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/locales/help/help_en-us.htm#RateAPostAsAnswer

"Doric" <Doric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:4DCD093B-2F5A-4940-AFF7-A242F6C55A90@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have a custom built PC with an OEM vista home premium. After having it run
vista for over a year, it has start to slow down alot. Cleaning out the
registry, defraging and cleanign the hard drive does nothing so im assuming a
fresh vista install will sort it all out. Thing is, will my product key still
work as ive heard numerous stories of people being froced to purchase new
keys due to vista not recognising their hardware. Furthermore, i have a 1
license version of office 2007 ultimate which was being given away at an
extremely low price as a deal with microsoft. Will my office key still work.
I have done clean installs on my old xp computer before no problem but now
microsoft has introduced strict rules on product keys etc, im not sure
weather its worth the risk on my vista PC. Anyone got any advice?

Thanks in advance

  • Re: Office XP 2002 Product Key Invalid
    ... CleanUp utility and try installing again. ... when I try to reinstall it on my computer after an opperating system restore. ... Microsoft won't help. ... Message says product key is invalid. ...
    (microsoft.public.office.misc)
  • Hi Gates, "ma`y smart thi` tao cu~ng smart "
    ... "alternative" method to unlock Vista would be available. ... obtaining a product key for Microsoft Vista. ... successful key could take months, ...
    (soc.culture.vietnamese)
  • Re: can not update xp pro window
    ... > pro was install at the time.Now microsoft says I do not ... > have the right product key to update even though it was ... > I`m worried about losing my data if we have to reinstall ...
  • Re: Activation
    ... I had to reinstall XP because when I set up the dual-boot with Windows Vista Beta 2, the Vista boot manager got stuck on the partition with XP and would refuse to delete. ... If it's been more than 120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most likely be able to activate via the Internet without problem. ... They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Lost Product Key #
    ... and reinstall my Office for Mac student teacher edition ... The product key and CD key are two separate items. ... If you have a backup of your User's folder, you can copy over the Microsoft ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office)