Re: Vista Ultimate-adding hard drive

You don't want to set it up as a RAID drive. You want it as a regular single drive. Make sure you plugged it into a standard SATA plug inside the computer and not a RAID controller. And in the BIOS, see if you can disable RAID.

If you do want the RAID on the hard drives, you can't set up a RAID array with one disk already populated with data. You would have to start from scratch. After the array is setup, you can usually add disks to the array (or replace a disk in the array). But it must be set up first.

--

Dustin Harper
dharper@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Was this helpful? Then click the Ratings button. Voting helps the web
interface.
http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/locales/help/help_en-us.htm#RateAPostAsAnswer

"CdLsRN" <NOSPAM@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:epQUu3a2IHA.5512@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have a Dell XPS 420 desktop with 750 GB, and 4 gb memory. I tried to add a Seagate 750GB hard drive today. I put it in according to Dell instructions. went to BIOS setup . the drive was enabled properly. Only with drive configuration in Auto Detect Raid was it detected. Then only as 40 gb. Re-booted and windows wouldn't boot up. What went wrong here?

.