Re: Vista install problem

Well now, you just said you had "a new retail copy" and, silly me, I believed you.

No, you don't get free support from MS. You shouldn't have used an OEM copy in the first place. The license that comes with those only permit installation on a computer for sale to a customer. You can't be your own customer (unless you are schizophrenic, but then they send you to one of those places where they let you hide your own Easter eggs). Further, the license requires the purchaser to provide support for the customer. It looks like you are your own support.

One thing which I spotted in your specs is the four sticks of DDR3 1333 ram. That may be the problem. In fact, I think it is.

Just because the mobo mfg states that the product supports 1333 ram and that it supports four dimms it does NOT follow that the mobo will support four dimms at 1333. I know for a fact that a couple of boards I have seen that support both DDR2 and DDR3 will only support two sticks of DDR3 even though four sticks of DDR2 works. Other boards will support two sticks of the highest supported dram speed but the dram speed has to be decreased for four sticks.

Try with only two sticks and if needed drop the dram speed to 1066.

In the meantime, even though getting on the ASUS site is painful (the only thing I know of that is slower is constipation), you need to investigate.

"inkeyes" <inkeyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:2F9145C2-36B8-4928-BEEF-EE0E9BAC38D9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have an OEM copy of vista since i built this PC, does this mean i cannot
get MS support?

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

Then you are entitled to use the phone number listed in the media kit for
your region for free installation support from MS. They promise to get you
up and running for free.

.