Re: Upgrading to vista 64 bit

You will be just fine with the x64 dvd and your upgrade edition product key. You will boot with the dvd, enter your upgrade pk, and Setup will immediately scan your computer for existing Windows. It will find XP and then let you proceed. Once it lets you proceed you no longer need the existing Windows and are free to use the disk tools to do whatever you want. You can delete the XP partition entirely and start with a new partition for Vista, which I suggest folks do.

"d.dassledoof" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:eaabeee8aeeeafe7b6f132b306dc6ba7@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I also wanted to install 64-bit version of Vista over 32-bit XP. Before
I had purchased Home Premium Upgrade, I had read on Microsoft's website
that you can indeed use the upgrade to do a clean install of the 64-bit
version by choosing a custom install. However you need to have the
original OS on your computer so that the installation can verify that
you own the original OS. This is exactly what Microsofts website states

_&#8226;*Upgrading_a_32-bit_operating_system_to_a_64-bit_operating_system*_If_you_purchase_a_64-bit_upgrade_version_of_Windows_Vista_with_the_intention_of_installing_on_a_computer_that_is_running_a_32-bit_operating_system,_you_must_install_Windows_Vista_by_starting_the_computer_from_the_64-bit_Vista_installation_DVD.__

_*Important*_Do_not_remove_the_previous_operating_system_before_you_start_the_Windows_Vista_installation._This_is_because_Windows_Vista_Setup_has_to_verify_that_your_current_operating_system_license_supports_the_installation_of_a_64-bit_upgrade_version._

Here's the page from Microsoft's website- 'Installation choices for
64-bit consumer versions of Windows Vista'
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795/en-us)

I hope I am correct because i purchased the upgrade with the intent of
installing 64-bit version. BTW-I'm still waiting on my 64-bit disk.

--
d.dassledoof

  • Re: upgrade c: from pata to sata with vista ultimate 64bit upgrade dis
    ... "How to Clean Install Windows Vista with Upgrade Media ... When I began inquiring into various Windows Vista installation options late last year, Microsoft and its representative grew quiet and seemed to begin selectively answering my questions. ...
  • Re: Format again
    ... specs to see if it can handle Vista. ... and I want to reformat my hard disk and re-install Windows XP ... and update it with a Vista upgrade which my good lady brought ... Instead of performing a clean install of XP, ...
  • XP Pro not working properly
    ... I have purchased a copy of windows xp professional full ... version and did the upgrade from me installion myself just ... that internet explorer or the whole of windows didnt seem ... and which should i download drivers for before i install ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Toshiba Portege 7200 appears incompatible with XP
    ... if individual X bought a laptop with its own Quick Restore ... disk or Windows CD, would the original owners be within their rights to sell ... An upgrade disk would not have worked as the ... >>> I attempted to install Windows XP OEM SP2 using an original PCMCIA ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Web vs. Desktop based systems
    ... provider with better privacy policy (perhaps Yahoo) also provides ... to other folder or reporting spam or changing the filter recipes. ... But how do you *really* know the important upgrade that keeps ... The alert-window doesn't exactly say *why* you need to install this ...
    (comp.programming)