Re: Upgrading to vista 64 bit

Upgrade functionality (that retains apps, files, and settings) would be enabled when going from Vista Home Basic x64 to Vista Home Premium x64 or Vista Ultimate x64, and from Vista Home Premiumx64 or Vista Business x64 to Vista Ultimate x64.

"Tom Lake" <toml_12953@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:0EAD100F-3475-47BE-BBF0-51CDA401CBF9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Mr Bennett" <MrBennett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:90CF2A80-A835-4208-BDA6-088410BC55EA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
According to the vista pages on the microsoft site, you cannot "upgrade" from
a 32bit XP to a 64bit vista, and must do a clean install, but it is ambiguous
as to what upgrade means. Does this mean that an original install version
(much more expensive) must be purchased, or can the upgrade version be used
on a clean hard drive as long as the XP key or whatever is put in to make it
recognize that you are upgrading?

Is there an upgrade version of 64 given that it can't be installed over the top of any
other OS and retain the settings? What would be the point?

Tom Lake

  • Re: Vista install failing on Dell Latitude D830
    ... I need the machine to join the domain otherwise I would be happy with Vista ... You can't upgrade from Vista Home to Vista Business, ... But the Vista install itself ran fine so i would have ...
  • Re: vista redeption voucher
    ... But I have been charged £49.69 for it, the product was advertised as a free upgrade to Vista, so how is that free? ... the upgrade to Vista Home Premium - the upgrade to Vista Home Basic is about ... I did purchase an OEM copy of XP Home, but it was sold with a FREE upgrade voucher to Vista. ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)
  • Re: Upgrading to Visa on three home computers
    ... The Anytime Upgrade CD is only for upgrading your present Vista Home Basic ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • RE: Upgrade
    ... I upgraded to full blown retail Vista Home Premium which came with 32-bit(So ... I realized the XP was an upgrade version from my ... from Windows XP Home 32bit after rebuilding my system(AMD Quad ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: OT: Is Vista worth upgrading to?
    ... it said that I could run Vista Home version. ... things would need upgraded drivers but for the most part everything ... Is Vista worth the expense of upgrading to or should ... Your better off banking that money on the upgrade ...
    (rec.sport.pro-wrestling)