Re: Ultimate will not install over my Home Premium

I did uninstall Vista SP1 and and tried Ultimate again and it was then able
to upgrade however I ran into another problem. It told me there was a device
problem and I ran ran Vista Update advisor and it told me Vista will not
support my Nvida GeForce 8800 GT. This is strange because my Vista home
premium is running with and it works fine. I did go to the nvida site and
downloaded the lastest Vista drivers for the 8800 GT rebooted and again Vista
update advisor told me Vista will not run with this video card.
So again I am unable to upgrade to Ultimate.
Any ideas on this problem>

Jim

"Mike Hall - MVP" wrote:

"Jim" <Jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I have a full version of Home Premium and have been running it for a year
or
more.
I bought Vista Ultimate upgrade. However when I try and install and
upgrade
to Premium I get a message saying...

You need a newer version of this software to upgrade.

I am running Vista SP1. It offers to do a clean install, which I do not
want.

What does Ultimate want?? It is so vague.

If it is an upgrade it certainly does not need a clean install.

Any help on this?

Jim

If you are running Vista SP1, and the version of Vista on the DVD is
pre-SP1, it will not upgrade the system. If you have installed SP1 as an
update to your system, you can uninstall it, run the upgrade and then
re-apply SP1..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

  • Re: Windows Vista Ultimate
    ... Ultimate, however I ran the Vista upgrade program from Microsoft, and it stated that the home basic version would progably be the best. ... If the Upgrade Advisor says your computer can only run Vista Basic, it will probably not run Vista Ultimate and give you all the Ultimate effects you want. ... If there are no drivers written (and they are written by the hardware mftr., not the people who put out the operating system - Microsoft in this case) for a particular operating system, then that hardware will not work in that operating system. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Having upgrade problems on Emachine T5224 Vista Ultimate
    ... Laptop to be upgraded from Vista Basic to Vista ... Ultimate and have Office reinstalled. ... On the e-machines box IE keeps locking up after the upgrade and throwing ... changing to larger hard drives in the laptop and both my other computers, ...
  • Re: Microsoft Anytime Upgrade Rip-Off
    ... bought a new HP mini note and was going to upgrade from the OEM Vista ... Business that came on the machine to Vista Ultimate, ...
  • Re: Ultimate will not install over my Home Premium
    ... The upgrade should work fine if you just install it. ... If you bought the card separately and the card is branded ... problem and I ran ran Vista Update advisor and it told me Vista will ... So again I am unable to upgrade to Ultimate. ...
  • Re: Forged mail addresses
    ... should go with Vista Ultimate. ... usually advise users of those machines to upgrade. ... that asks me about buying a computer. ...
    (rec.arts.anime.misc)