Re: Running OK but getting bsod's

Hi Colin,

Thanks for that. I read your update on this issue almost immediately after posting the above.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:95142542-EEE8-44D2-A06F-CFC7D0B283B1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rick, the problem with the ram is not 2GB vs 4GB but 2 dimms vs 4 dimms. The amount of ram isn't the issue. It happens with 2x2GB dimms just the same as 2x1GB. It is also not a usually Vista issue and the patch did not turn out to be a general solution but only works with some chipsets (nVidia, as I recall). In such cases it resolves a storport.sys issue.

It is hardware. Some consumer mobos cannot support four dimms at the highest supported memory speed. Solutions include checking for a BIOS or chipset driver update that addresses the issue, increasing the dram voltage slightly (0.1v max), and/or reducing the dram speed (it is particularly common with 800 ram and reducing to 667 very often works). A 64bit OS exacerbates the problem. What is happening is the memory controller is getting overloaded. It is a timing problem.

Just because a mobo mfg states that a mobo supports 8gb of ram and also says that the mobo supports 1333 ram does not mean that the mobo supports 8GB of 1333 ram. In fact, it usually won't. Its a tradeoff between gamers, who want 2GB or 4GB of really fast memory, and general users who might want 8 GB for other types of uses where speed is not as crucial as capacity.

"Rick Rogers" <rick@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:OhKrgd31IHA.3756@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi d.,

You should be getting your video drivers from Nvidia, not Intel. As to chipset drivers, I let Windows handle them unless there is a specific issue that updating addresses. If an updated driver causes an issue, you can use the driver rollback feature in device manager (just like with XP) to remove it and replace the old one.

Also, when you install x64, leave the system at 2GB of memory and install the extra afterwards. There is a known issue with installing while 4GB is installed.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"d.dassledoof" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:5f01cf100814dd1ebb1fcedaf09fb3e2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

'Intel Core 2 Duo E6750'
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115029)
'ASUS P5K-E'
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131225)

'CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) '
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145034)DDR2
800 (PC2 6400) Timing 4-4-4-12
'EVGA GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB'
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130325)
'Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA '
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148288)
'FSP Group Blue Storm II 500W ATX 2.2 Power Supply '
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104034)
Antec Nine Hundred case
Craetive Sound Blaster Audigy 2zs (ancient)

I just hooked up a copy of vista home premium upgrade 32-bit and did a
custom install over xp pro. I was shootin for 64-bit version but looks
like I have to wait a week or so. My first time ever even seeing vista
and I do like it a lot except that I ve been getting more than a few
bsod's. I wouldn't be surprised if it was due to some error on my part,
maybe how I installed the drivers. First thing I did was install the
latest chipset drivers from intel 9.0.0.1008 off a burned cd. Then I did
a windows update which installed a couple drivers as well, and next i
installed latest graphics drivers. It was soon after this that I got a
notification about a compatability problem "Download and install the
driver for Intel ICH9 from the manufacturer's website" I did that and I
think windows reinstalled my chipset drivers, but an older version. It
was shortly after that when I got my first bsod. I was bummed. Not to
mention the fact that I've had probably 10 of them now in the past 2
days I've been running Vista. I pretty much got ansy and decided to
install the 32-bit version while I wait for the 64-bit disk to show up
in the mail so I could get a little test run and check it out. Maybe
64-bit will be more stable?(I have 2 more gigs that Im gonna add when I
install it) Also maybe my possible gof goof installing the chipset
drivers caused it? Should I let windows update handle chipset drivers?
Other than that I just don't know. Could be anything for all I know. But
other than those bsod's, it seems to be running fast and stable. Anybody
got any advice? I'd appreciate it. I'm hopin i can get it right next
time

--
d.dassledoof

.