Re: installing vista onto second hard drive

For most users you have two ways to do a parallel installation of 32bit Vista. Boot with the dvd as Carey says and select the second drive or start Vista setup from the XP desktop and select the second hard drive for the installation. You cannot do this with an upgrade edition of Vista and continue to use the existing XP because of a licensing requirement in upgrade editions that says you must discontinue use of the Windows you are upgrading from. A standard (full) edition makes no such requirement even if you use its upgrade functionality in performing the installation so you want to purchase a full edition and not an upgrade edition.

Before you continue you need to ensure that you have Vista drivers for your computer. Vista will most likely contain most if not all but there is no garuntee. Check your computer mfg's website for drivers and for special instructions for upgrading to Vista.

"jkiejr" <jkiejr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:7F824504-AAAE-48B0-AC2D-CE212B6B2022@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
i have two 320 gb sata hard drives the first one i have installed has xp
running on it i want to install the second one and put vista on it. i have to
things i want to know do i need a full version of vista or just and upgrade.
and how would i go on and do this but vista on the second drive

  • Re: Its official: upgrade hack included in Vista SP1
    ... Carey statement is based on information relayed in a licensing and activation presentation and discussion on the Microsoft campus that I attended as well. ... upgrade hack included in Vista SP1 ... article in the Windows Secrets Newsletter explained that the upgrade edition ...
  • Re: Its official: upgrade hack included in Vista SP1
    ... upgrade hack included in Vista SP1 ... the "upgrade edition" and install it on any PC - with no need to purchase ... article in the Windows Secrets Newsletter explained that the upgrade edition ...
  • Re: Its official: upgrade hack included in Vista SP1
    ... Windows Genuine Advantage will check the ... upgrade hack included in Vista SP1 ... article in the Windows Secrets Newsletter explained that the upgrade edition ...
  • Re: Its official: upgrade hack included in Vista SP1
    ... It has never been possible to upgrade in place from 32bits to 64bits for any Windows client or server software because a 64bit OS MUST be installed by a 64bit installer. ... The Vista installed on the first pass can be either 32bits or 64bits in such a case. ... Please understand that the installation methodology used to install Windows has always been at the convenience of the user. ...
  • Re: Activation Error 0xC004F061
    ... Both XP and Vista are legal copies and I have the digital reciepts. ... >>> hosed because I did what the upgrade told me I needed to do? ... >>> unable to upgrade from Windows XP Pro to Windows Vista Home Premium? ... >>>> If you want to migrate data and settings from the XP installation ...