Re: My old computer died

The 'one time only' thing did exist, but I had forgotten Microsoft
changed that a while after Vista was released. Thank you for correcting
me.

Colin Barnhorst;758803 Wrote:
There is no such thing as a one-time transfer for Windows OSs. If the
OS
was preinstalled it may not be moved even once. If it is a retail copy
it
may be moved as many times as needed as long as it is not installed on
more
than one computer at a time.

Anytime Upgrade licenses were limited to one transfer until Vista SP1
released. Those licenses have been changed in SP1 to allow transfer
with
the upgraded Windows if the upgraded Windows is itself transferrable.

"Brian the King" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:6f57631a945fa9617a6aecc9d1e4882b@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> > >

All you can do is try. It may let you transfer the key over to your
new
computer but, Vista is kind of finicky about that sort of thing..

Supposedly you can move your license from one computer to another,
one
time only. So, again, it should work, but you'll just have to try and
see what it says.

Edit:
Colin Barnhorst;758502 Wrote:> > > > >
If your Vista came preinstalled on your old machine then you cannot
use
the
product key any more. In particular it would not work with retail
copies of
Vista. Also, preinstalled Vista is not transferrable to another
computer
even if the old one dies. Preinstalled Vista and the computer are
one
product.

If you purchased Vista at retail you may use it on your new
computer.
Just
how you go about doing that depends on what you are running on the
new
computer now and whether your retail copy of Vista is an upgrade
edition or
standard...> > > > >
Good call Colin, this would all be useful to know :p

--
Brian the King > >

--
Brian the King

  • Re: My old computer died
    ... If it is a retail copy it may be moved as many times as needed as long as it is not installed on more than one computer at a time. ... Anytime Upgrade licenses were limited to one transfer until Vista SP1 released. ... Those licenses have been changed in SP1 to allow transfer with the upgraded Windows if the upgraded Windows is itself transferrable. ...
  • Re: Vista license agreement is a joke
    ... It looks as if they are moving standard Windows licenses ... Ultimate, which will probably cost $300) to be not much better ... Read paragraph 15a and 16a of the Vista Ultimate license as ... John how do you plan on using DX10 without Vista? ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action)
  • Re: Activation question
    ... although a clean install may. ... unfamiliarity with x64 migration will initially cause even more ... x64 Vista is rock ... bit for Vista Home Basic and Vista Home Premium for the licenses I ...
  • Re: Vista license agreement is a joke
    ... It looks as if they are moving standard Windows licenses ... Ultimate, which will probably cost $300) to be not much better ... Read paragraph 15a and 16a of the Vista Ultimate license as ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action)
  • Re: dell vista upgrade license?
    ... acquired an upgrade copy of Vista, if I was physically able to do it, I ... it would be clearly illegal to use the XP and Vista licenses ... legally dual boot my pc with Vista and XP if I bought both software. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)