Re: My old computer died

There is no such thing as a one-time transfer for Windows OSs. If the OS was preinstalled it may not be moved even once. If it is a retail copy it may be moved as many times as needed as long as it is not installed on more than one computer at a time.

Anytime Upgrade licenses were limited to one transfer until Vista SP1 released. Those licenses have been changed in SP1 to allow transfer with the upgraded Windows if the upgraded Windows is itself transferrable.

"Brian the King" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:6f57631a945fa9617a6aecc9d1e4882b@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

All you can do is try. It may let you transfer the key over to your new
computer but, Vista is kind of finicky about that sort of thing..

Supposedly you can move your license from one computer to another, one
time only. So, again, it should work, but you'll just have to try and
see what it says.

Edit:
Colin Barnhorst;758502 Wrote:
If your Vista came preinstalled on your old machine then you cannot use
the
product key any more. In particular it would not work with retail
copies of
Vista. Also, preinstalled Vista is not transferrable to another
computer
even if the old one dies. Preinstalled Vista and the computer are one
product.

If you purchased Vista at retail you may use it on your new computer.
Just
how you go about doing that depends on what you are running on the new
computer now and whether your retail copy of Vista is an upgrade
edition or
standard...

Good call Colin, this would all be useful to know :p

--
Brian the King

  • Re: Which XP to use
    ... Right again, but if the drivers are not compatible with Vista, it is still, in a round about way, a Vista problem that wouldn't happen with XP. ... Retail can be moved from machine to machine and you get a support call or two for your purchase - but you paid for it - trust me. ... As for which OS (Windows XP Home, Professional, x64, Media Center) you should run - that would be decided by your needs and capabilities ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Which XP to use
    ... can you get microsoft direct support for retail products? ... the Vista when I get the new computer. ... As for which OS (Windows XP Home, Professional, x64, Media Center) you ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: reinstall windows xp anew after crash
    ... I have a retail version. ... new pc and reinstall my windows xp pro. ... cases you void your hardware warranty and tech support agreements. ... Second, even if the new PC comes with Vista, the user need not worry ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: General question
    ... I thought you and other Windows users were claiming Windows ... and Vista will replace it. ... I thought you meant to retail. ... and Microsoft will dump millions into promotions over the ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: My old computer died
    ... Anytime Upgrade licenses were limited to one transfer until Vista SP1 ... the upgraded Windows if the upgraded Windows is itself transferrable. ... In particular it would not work with retail ...