Re: Vista install blue screens repeatedly

The OEM system builder license is restricted in its use to system builders who are building computers for sale to customers. The OEM sb license is not an end user license. The purchaser of an OEM pack is not authorized to use the software, only install it on a computer for sale.

A person who builds his own system is not a system builder under the terms of the license since he intends to use the system himself and not sell it to a customer. Since you cannot be your own customer, there is no way you can purchase support. The purchaser of the OEM pack is obligated to provide support to his customer.

The computer and the installed software are covered by the end user license (consumer_oem EULA) installed on the hard drive and computer and software are one indivisible product when the software is pre-installed on a system. The consumer_oem EULA can be read on your Vista computer at c:\windows\system32\license.

The OEM (System Builder) License can be read here if you do not still have the OEM pack wrapper:
http://www.microsoft.com/oem/sblicense/default.mspx

"Volund" <Volund@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:F1399B1F-FD3C-49C9-A394-B4294E12B113@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
So it's your opinion that it's the ram... ok, I'll look into that.

also, I just found out that OEM support is only for COMPANIES, not system
builders, as it states... great, not I get to go out and buy a retail copy of
the software I already paid for just to be guaranteed support...

-found one error that it is actually clear on, "HAL is missing or corrupt",
I'm assuming it is refering to the Hardware abstraction layer, but I'm not
sure what to do to fix it...

any more help is appreciated.

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

It sounds like you can stop installing Vista until you find out what the
hardware issue is.

Because it is a common problem these days, I suspect the ram configuration.
A mobo that supports 8GB of ram and supports, say 1333, does not necessarily
support 8Gb running at 1333. It may be that it supports 2 dimms at 1333 or
4 dimms at 800. That's true even if it posts with all 4 dimm slots filled.

Mobos are a bundle of compromises, especially those tailored to the gaming
community. Commonly a very high speed is supported for 2 dimms because
that's the usual gaming configuration but using all four dimms requires
clocking down or slower ram. The problem is that the memory controller
can't maintain stability over the greater electrical distance to the
furthest slots at the higher frequency. This is especially true when using
a 64bit OS.

.