Re: Vista install blue screens repeatedly

It sounds like you can stop installing Vista until you find out what the hardware issue is.

Because it is a common problem these days, I suspect the ram configuration. A mobo that supports 8GB of ram and supports, say 1333, does not necessarily support 8Gb running at 1333. It may be that it supports 2 dimms at 1333 or 4 dimms at 800. That's true even if it posts with all 4 dimm slots filled.

Mobos are a bundle of compromises, especially those tailored to the gaming community. Commonly a very high speed is supported for 2 dimms because that's the usual gaming configuration but using all four dimms requires clocking down or slower ram. The problem is that the memory controller can't maintain stability over the greater electrical distance to the furthest slots at the higher frequency. This is especially true when using a 64bit OS.

"Volund" <Volund@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:873D1BB6-92D7-4506-843A-278D875E7926@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
-I have done 4 clean installs (format and re-install)

-Using Vista-64 Home basic on a XFX nVidia 780i mobo with 8gb of OCZ paired
ram (4x2gb), a intel Q6600 quad core, and 2x MSI 8800GTS in SLI...

-What would be really nice is if someone could tell me how to sign up for
OEM support as an individual, as I build systems for fun, not for a company.
I don't feel like paying a support tech nearly 60$ for a piece of software
that is supposed to come with free support.

  • Re: Ultra 5 Upgrades
    ... It says explicitly in the Ultra5 system handbook that ... how can one install 1GB of RAM in the U5? ... support 256MB DIMMs." ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: Vista Ultimate 64-bit 8GB on ASUS 3A32-MVP Deluxe
    ... A 64bit OS is more demanding on a memory controller than a 32bit OS even in 4GB of ram. ... Just because a mobo is spec'd to support 8GB of ram and spec'd to support certain dram speeds does NOT mean that the board can support 8GB at the higher rated speeds using a 64bit OS. ... which is prior to the OS running, the DIMMS are working properly. ... > ASUS claims that the master boot record is the problem, ...
  • Re: Vista install blue screens repeatedly
    ... also, I just found out that OEM support is only for COMPANIES, not system ... That "support" comes at a very high price. ... Because it is a common problem these days, I suspect the ram configuration. ... Commonly a very high speed is supported for 2 dimms because ...
  • Information please
    ... I have an Ultra 5 and wish to expand the ram to something more ... I see the 256 meg dimms for sale on Ebay. ... why does Sun say that the Ultra 5 does not support 256 meg Dimms? ...
    (comp.sys.sun.hardware)
  • Re: Why the second flip-flop in Virtex-6?
    ... Note the Virtex-6 Select-IO voltage range: ... At a guess the V6 I/O blocks are fast enough to support DDR memory quite well ... need DIMMs. ... maybe you can tap into the memory controllers for all except the ...
    (comp.arch.fpga)